Length of Wire Homework: Find Length with n Cylinders and r,R Radii

In summary, the length of the wire enclosing n identical cylinders attached upright on a board, with each cylinder having a radius r and the centre of each cylinder's base lying on a large circle of radius R, is given by 2\pi r + 2nRsin\frac{\pi}{n}. This can be understood by drawing a diagram and using the sine rule to calculate the furthermost edge of triangles within the area enclosed by the wire. As n approaches infinity, the length of the wire approaches 2(pi)(R+r).
danago
Gold Member

Homework Statement

There are n identicle cylinders attached upright on a board. Each cylinder has a radius r, and the centre of each cylinder's base lie on a large circle of radius R. They are evenly spaced around the circle. A loop of wire encloses the cylinders. Show that the length of the wire is given by [tex]2\pi r + 2nRsin\frac{\pi}{n}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Im quite lost. I am not even sure where to start. I am not asking for someone to show me the solution, but if somebody could start me in the right direction, that would be great.

Now, in class, we havnt started on limits yet, but i think they may be involved in this.

Physics news on Phys.org
Draw a picture, for a small values of n like 3 or 4.

The wire is wrapped tight round the cylinders so some parts of it are straight, and other parts are curved round the small cylinders.

You can get some clues from the answer. Try to see how the "2n angles of size pi/n" and the length "2 pi r" relate to your picture.

danago, your assumption of this involving limits is correct because as n approaches infinity the length of the wire circumnavigating the cylinders approaches 2(pi)(R+r)

The first part of the formula is straight forward, as the 2(pi)(r) indicates the wire length if it were around a single cylinder.
When having drawn your diagrams, you will have noticed that triangles can be drawn between the area enclosed by the wire, thus the furthermost edge of the triangles plus the 2(pi)(r) will give you the length of the wire. To calculate the furthermost edge of the triangles try using the sine rule (a/sin A = b/sin B = c/sin C)

1. How do you calculate the length of wire using n cylinders and r,R radii?

To calculate the length of wire using n cylinders and r,R radii, you can use the formula L = (2πr + 2πR)n. This formula takes into account the circumference of each cylinder and the distance between them.

2. What is the significance of using multiple cylinders in this calculation?

Using multiple cylinders allows for a more accurate measurement of the length of wire. By using n cylinders, we can account for the curvature of the wire and any irregularities in its shape.

3. Can this formula be used for any shape of wire?

No, this formula is specifically designed for cylindrical wires. Other shapes may require different formulas or methods of calculation.

4. How do you measure the radii of the cylinders?

The radii of the cylinders can be measured using a ruler or a caliper. Make sure to measure from the center of the cylinder to the edge to get an accurate measurement.

5. How can this formula be applied in real-world scenarios?

This formula can be used in various industries that require precise measurements of wires, such as construction, engineering, and manufacturing. It can also be used in science experiments or in the production of electronic devices.