Can an MSc shorten the length of an American Phd?

• Programs
  • Thread starter deadringer
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Length
In summary, the conversation discusses the differences in the length of time it takes to complete a PhD in America compared to England, as well as the possibility of completing a PhD in 3-4 years with an MSc degree. It also mentions the average time it takes to complete a PhD in the US and the UK, and the importance of ensuring that courses from one university will be accepted at another.
deadringer
I'm a British student considering doing a Phd in America. If I do a Phd in England it should only take 3 years, but I've heard that usually American Phd's take a lot longer (e.g six years +). However I suspect that this may be because the typical American student is much less advanced when starting their Phd. If I do an MSc before starting a Phd, would it be feasible to get it done in 3/4 yrs?

The MSc courses I'm doing include:

QED
Unification
Advanced QFT
Supersymmetry
String Theory
Differential Geometry

These will all be examined, and there's also a research component of the MSc which takes the whole summer.

Physics news on Phys.org
It took me more years than I want to admit (mostly writing the dissertation) but certainly if you have a master's degree it should not take more than 3 years. You would want to be sure that the courses you take at one university will be accepted at the other.

deadringer said:
I'm a British student considering doing a Phd in America. If I do a Phd in England it should only take 3 years, but I've heard that usually American Phd's take a lot longer (e.g six years +). However I suspect that this may be because the typical American student is much less advanced when starting their Phd. If I do an MSc before starting a Phd, would it be feasible to get it done in 3/4 yrs?

The MSc courses I'm doing include:

QED
Unification
Advanced QFT
Supersymmetry
String Theory
Differential Geometry

These will all be examined, and there's also a research component of the MSc which takes the whole summer.

This chapter in the essay may answer some of your questions here.

https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=897052&postcount=105

Zz.

Thanks very much for this info.

Zapper, In Australia, it is possible for students to finish a Phd from finishing high school in 7 years. Which includes a 4 year honours degree + 3 year Phd

Does it take longer than 7 years (from finishing high school) in America? How about the UK?

However I heard that most physics Phds in our university need to extend their Phd time to 4 years. So theoretically 7 years but practically 8 years.

pivoxa15:

BS in US: Typically 4 years
PhD immediately afterward: Mean is 5 years

So it averages 9 years. That doesn't mean you couldn't get it in 7 years. But cutting those 2 years is not necessarily in your best interest. You want to graduate when your research has developed enough (along with your knowledge and expertise) that you are well prepared for the next step after your PhD.

What is the average length of an American Phd?

The average length of an American Phd program is 5-6 years. However, this can vary depending on the field of study and individual circumstances.

What factors can affect the length of an American Phd?

Factors such as the field of study, research topic, funding availability, and the student's progress can all impact the length of an American Phd program.

Can an American Phd be completed in less than 5 years?

While the average length of an American Phd is 5-6 years, it is possible for some students to complete their program in less time. This can be achieved through various factors such as taking advanced coursework, having a well-defined research topic, and making efficient progress.

Is it common for American Phd programs to take longer than the average 5-6 years?

Yes, it is not uncommon for some American Phd programs to take longer than 5-6 years. This can be due to various reasons such as changing research topics, funding limitations, or personal circumstances.

Are there any differences in length among different fields of study for American Phd programs?

Yes, the length of an American Phd program can vary among different fields of study. For example, programs in the natural sciences and engineering tend to be shorter, while programs in the humanities and social sciences may take longer to complete.