Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Length of Sine Curve

1. Apr 15, 2012 #1
    I tried to find the length of a sine curve using calculus.I got stuck in the integral of integral(sqrt(cos(x)^2+1), x, 0, a). Limits are from 0 to point a,i.e. length of curve from 0 to any point a.With some approximations I found out the length of sine curve as a result.I have attached the derivation of my result.I tried searching books and internet for this result.But couldn't find like this one.It also seems that this result gives more precise answer.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 15, 2012 #2

chiro

Science Advisor

4. Apr 16, 2012 #3
    I know elliptic integrals.It comes when you try to find time period of a simple pendulum without taking usual approximation:that angular displacement is very small and that
    sin(θ)≈θ in radians.But even elliptical integrals can't be solved analytically.You have to solve it in a calculator/computer or use interpolation formula's to carry out integral approximately.However the method of approximation which I used gives a result which gives better answer compared to a calculator or interpolation.In the end of pdf I have given three checks of that result which I haven't seen anywhere.I have also searched the net extensively.That's why I posted here to ask you guys if it's a new result or not??

5. Apr 16, 2012 #4

chiro

Science Advisor

I don't know if its a new result or not (hell I didn't know what an elliptic integral was!). Hopefully somebody else can give you a better answer.

6. Apr 16, 2012 #5
    Thanks for your effort.It means a lot.Can you also suggest where else can I put up my query??? Or mail someone???
    Any help will be useful.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook