The Length of a Curve: Calculating Using a Non-Traditional Approach

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the length of a curve represented by the equation x = 3y^{4/3} - 3/32y^{2/3} from -8 \leq y \leq 64. The conversation also mentions the use of a math tool to check the value of dy/dx, the integration of the function, and the possibility of a different approach to solving the problem. The final conclusion is that the integral \int_{-8}^{64} \sqrt{1+{(4y^{1/3}-\frac{1}{16y^{1/3}})}^2} dy is set up correctly, but the dy term was initially missed.
ProBasket
Find the length of the curve

[tex] x = 3y^{4/3} - 3/32y^{2/3} [/tex]

from [tex] -8 \leq y \leq 64 [/tex]

dy/dx = [tex] 4*y^{1/3}-\frac{1}{16y^{1/3}}[/tex] <-- don't need to check this, i used a math tool to check it.

if i plug all of this into a integral, its going to be crazy. so i was wondering if there is a different approach to this problem

[tex] \int_{-8}^{64} \sqrt{1+{(4y^{1/3}-\frac{1}{16y^{1/3}})}^2}[/tex]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
DO it. Why would it be "crazy?" You've just got some power functions.

is my integral setup correctly?

So far, yes.

Actually MOST functions would give "crazy" arclength integrals- so teachers choose functions that simplify. Go ahead, square the formula and add the "1"- and see what happens (hint: the result is a perfect square).

your integral is correct, you just forgot the dy at the end.

[tex] \int_{-8}^{64} \sqrt{1+{(4y^{1/3}-\frac{1}{16y^{1/3}})}^2} dy[/tex]

ProBasket said:
Find the length of the curve

[tex] x = 3y^{4/3} - 3/32y^{2/3} [/tex]

from [tex] -8 \leq y \leq 64 [/tex]

dy/dx = [tex] 4*y^{1/3}-\frac{1}{16y^{1/3}}[/tex] <-- don't need to check this, i used a math tool to check it.

if i plug all of this into a integral, its going to be crazy. so i was wondering if there is a different approach to this problem

[tex] \int_{-8}^{64} \sqrt{1+{(4y^{1/3}-\frac{1}{16y^{1/3}})}^2}[/tex]

I don't want to be picky, but what you differentiated was dx/dy, not dy/dx. That is how you could dx = {garbage}*dy.

Zz.

What is the length of a curve?

The length of a curve is the distance traveled along the curve from one endpoint to another. It is a measure of the total distance covered by the curve.

Why is a non-traditional approach needed to calculate the length of a curve?

A non-traditional approach is needed to calculate the length of a curve because traditional methods, such as using straight lines to approximate the curve, can lead to inaccurate results.

What is the advantage of using a non-traditional approach to calculate the length of a curve?

The advantage of using a non-traditional approach is that it can provide a more accurate measurement of the length of a curve, especially for complex or irregular curves.

What are some examples of non-traditional methods used to calculate the length of a curve?

Some examples of non-traditional methods include using calculus, such as the arc length formula, or using computer software to calculate the length of a curve.

Are there any limitations to using a non-traditional approach to calculate the length of a curve?

Yes, there can be limitations depending on the complexity of the curve and the accuracy of the data used. Additionally, some non-traditional methods may require specialized knowledge or tools.