1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Length of Work Term

1. Dec 30, 2013 #1
    I will be graduating with an engineering degree (mechanical) in May of 2014. The city that I currently live in is not where I want to stay after I graduate; however, my wife is well established in her career and it makes sense for us to stay here for a year or so in order to save up money etc..

Is it too flaky to take a job in my current city for only a year or so, then move? I'm worried that if I am completely honest with potential employers that I only plan on staying for a year, maybe more, that no one will consider me. On the other hand, I don't want to lead an employer to believe that I am in it for the long haul and then leave on them, potentially burning a bridge and a valuable reference.

What are your guys' thoughts on this?

Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 30, 2013 #2

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I think you have to choose between having a clean conscience, and getting hired. If a company thinks they will get much useful work out of a new graduate in the first year, maybe that company is too naive (or too low-tech) for you to want to work for them anyway

On the other hand, people do move jobs for all sorts of reasons, so I wouldn't be too worried about burning bridges and losing a reference, assuming your work is good while you are there.

Look at it the other way round: the fact that your wife is already established in her career in that location is a plus point, so far as your job application is concerned.

Finally, it is obviously a good idea to have plans, but it's not such a good idea to assume the plan is exactly the way your life will turn out. A lot of unexpected things might happen, good and bad, in the next year!

4. Jan 6, 2014 #3
    The reality of the work place and typical employee has changed significantly over the past 20 years. At one time a company that one started in would be the place they retired from. Companies also offered cushy retirement packages at one time also, but those days are long gone for the most part. The benefit to employees is the fact that companies often respect having a number of jobs on your resume. As long as you have the right reasons for making a change. Increase in income and life changes that lead to a move are just examples of acceptable reasons for not sticking with a job.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook