Lengthening Pendulum Homework: Working with Equation 18.1

• Thread starter dykuma
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pendulum
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of equations 18.1 and 18.3, with a focus on the term 2dθ/dl. One participant initially treats l as a constant, but then realizes it is a function of time. The other participant suggests replacing the time derivatives with derivatives with respect to l using the relation v(d/dl). The issue of how to treat l in this situation is also brought up.
dykuma

Homework Statement

upload_2016-10-31_21-12-40.png

Homework Equations

upload_2016-10-31_21-13-2.png

The Attempt at a Solution

Working with equation 18.1 i found that
upload_2016-10-31_21-18-20.png

However, this obviously is not the equation in 18.3.
I found a source talking about this problem, and they get a similar equation
http://file.scirp.org/pdf/JAMP_2014031310562629.pdf
upload_2016-10-31_21-20-56.png

I have no clue where to go with this problem. Where is the 2 d theata / dl term coming from?

Physics news on Phys.org
dykuma said:

The Attempt at a Solution

Working with equation 18.1 i found that
upload_2016-10-31_21-36-53.png
Looks like you treated ##l## as a constant. But ##l## is a function of time.

TSny said:
Looks like you treated ##l## as a constant. But ##l## is a function of time.
Hmm. I was assuming that it was a constant before I made the substitution, I see the flaw in my logic there. So then I need to leave it in this form
upload_2016-10-31_21-46-26.png

But I am not familiar with how to treat L in this situation.

In the expression ##\frac{d}{dt} \left(l^2 \cdot \frac{d\theta}{dt} \right)## it might help to replace the time derivatives with derivatives with respect to ##l## using your relation ##\frac{d}{dt} = v \frac{d}{dl}##.

Likes dykuma

What is a lengthening pendulum?

A lengthening pendulum refers to a simple pendulum that has had its length increased. This can be done by adding weight to the end of the pendulum or by adjusting the position of the pendulum's pivot point.

What is Equation 18.1?

Equation 18.1 is a mathematical formula that relates the period (T) of a simple pendulum to its length (L) and the acceleration due to gravity (g). The equation is T = 2π√(L/g).

How do you work with Equation 18.1 for lengthening pendulum homework?

To work with Equation 18.1 for lengthening pendulum homework, you first need to gather the necessary data such as the length of the pendulum, the acceleration due to gravity, and the desired period. Then, plug these values into the equation and solve for the missing variable. You can also use this equation to make predictions about how changing the length will affect the period of the pendulum.

What are some real-life applications of lengthening pendulums?

Lengthening pendulums have many practical applications, such as in pendulum clocks, metronomes, and seismometers. They are also used in scientific experiments to measure the effects of gravity and can even be used in some amusement park rides.

What other factors may affect the period of a lengthening pendulum?

Besides the length and acceleration due to gravity, other factors that may affect the period of a lengthening pendulum include air resistance, the shape and weight distribution of the pendulum, and the angle at which it is released. These factors can be accounted for in more complex equations, but Equation 18.1 provides a good approximation for most simple pendulums.