SI Units Lengths: Defined by Light Speed

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of redefining the SI units using the speed of light as a universal constant, which is already used in the definition of the meter. The conversation also mentions that all other SI units are defined using fundamental physical properties that do not easily change, except for the kilogram which may change in the future. The conversation concludes with the understanding that only the kilogram would need modification in this scenario.
xeryx35
After the discovery of the speed of light, it may have made a bit of sense to redefine the meter as [itex]\frac{1}{300,000,000}[/itex] the distance light travels in a second. I understand that larger units like the light year may have been distorted a bit, and that conversions would be required for such areas, or others where precise measurement may have been required. But my point is that the current SI system is a bit arbitrary(fortunately less so than the so-called "customary" system) and using the speed of light in a vacuum would base it upon a universal constant, not something that can easily change.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't see how any of the SI units can easily change.

Drakkith said:
I don't see how any of the SI units can easily change.
True. It may be a difficult decision to change old meters into new meters, from a political and social standpoint. But do you think that, if it had been an easier process, that it would make sense?

Maybe the new SI definitions could be:

Second: time taken by light to travel 300,000,000 meters
Meter: Distance trageled by light in [itex]\frac{1}{300,000,000}[/itex]second.

The units of weight could be modified, but a gram will still be the mass of water in a cube 1 new centimeter in length, and the Kelvin scale could be used for temperature, with the Celsius scale being used in a non-scientific context.

xeryx35 said:
After the discovery of the speed of light, it may have made a bit of sense to redefine the meter as [itex]\frac{1}{300,000,000}[/itex] the distance light travels in a second. I understand that larger units like the light year may have been distorted a bit, and that conversions would be required for such areas, or others where precise measurement may have been required. But my point is that the current SI system is a bit arbitrary(fortunately less so than the so-called "customary" system) and using the speed of light in a vacuum would base it upon a universal constant, not something that can easily change.
It is already like this.

"The meter is the length of the path traveled by light in vacuum during a
time interval of 1/299 792 458 of a second."

http://physics.nist.gov/Pubs/SP330/sp330.pdf
page 18

All of the SI units are very well defined using things that do not easily change, that is what I meant as a response to your statement:

...using the speed of light in a vacuum would base it upon a universal constant, not something that can easily change.

For example, the second is defined as: the duration of 9,192,631,770 periods of the radiation corresponding to the transition between the two hyperfine levels of the ground state of the caesium 133 atom.

The Kilogram is currently the only SI unit that is defined using an actual object instead of fundamental physical properties. However, that may change in the near future. See here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kilogram

So other than changing Kilogram, I don't really see what you are getting at.

Drakkith said:
All of the SI units are very well defined using things that do not easily change, that is what I meant as a response to your statement:
For example, the second is defined as: the duration of 9,192,631,770 periods of the radiation corresponding to the transition between the two hyperfine levels of the ground state of the caesium 133 atom.

The Kilogram is currently the only SI unit that is defined using an actual object instead of fundamental physical properties. However, that may change in the near future. See here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kilogram

So other than changing Kilogram, I don't really see what you are getting at.

Oh, sorry, I did not know that the other units were based off of physical constants. In that event only kilograms need modification.

xeryx35 said:
Oh, sorry, I did not know that the other units were based off of physical constants. Sorry.

Yep, you can click on the units here to get to their articles: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SI_unit

1. What are SI units?

SI units (International System of Units) are a globally recognized system of measurement based on the metric system. They are used in scientific and everyday contexts to provide a standardized and universally understood means of measurement.

2. How are SI units used to measure length?

SI units use the meter (m) as the base unit for measuring length. The meter is defined as the distance that light travels in a vacuum in 1/299,792,458 of a second. This means that the speed of light is used as a standard for measuring length, providing a precise and universally accepted measurement.

3. Why was the speed of light chosen as the standard for measuring length?

The speed of light was chosen as the standard for measuring length because it is a constant and unchanging value. It is also a fundamental physical constant that is the same in all frames of reference, making it a reliable and consistent standard for measurements.

4. How does using light speed as a standard for length measurement benefit science?

Using light speed as a standard for length measurement allows for more precise and accurate measurements in scientific experiments and research. It also provides a universal standard that can be used by scientists all over the world, ensuring consistency and accuracy in scientific data and findings.

5. Are SI units the only units used to measure length?

No, there are other systems of measurement for length, such as the Imperial system, which uses units like inches, feet, and miles. However, SI units are the most commonly used and accepted units in the scientific community due to their precision and universal standard.