Combining Lenses and Mirrors: Finding the Focal Length and Image Formation

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of focal length in relation to plane mirrors and the method used to solve combination problems involving lenses and mirrors. It is noted that the focal length should technically be considered infinite for plane mirrors, and the method of considering the first image formed and using it as the object for subsequent lenses/mirrors is confirmed to be correct.
stpmmaths

Homework Statement

attachment.php?attachmentid=20476&stc=1&d=1252412682.jpg

Question B only

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

attachment.php?attachmentid=20477&stc=1&d=1252412682.jpg

1) Why we use f=15.0cm? Shouldn't it be f=infinity considering plane mirror have an infinity focal length?
2) Normally I do combination(lens, mirrors), firstly I will consider the front lens/mirror by finding the 1st image formed. Then the 1st image will be the object of the subsequent lens/mirror. Am I using the right method to do?

Attachments

• Capture4.JPG
    Capture4.JPG
    37.5 KB · Views: 2,293
  • Capture2.JPG
    Capture2.JPG
    19.7 KB · Views: 2,331
Physics news on Phys.org
Any help from the web?

Rays from the object first refract through the lens, reflect from the mirror and then again refract though the lens to from I2. During the second refraction, the object is the vertual image I1 formed by the mirror. After refection from the mirror the rays appear to be converging at a distance equal to the distance of I1 behind the mirror. Hence u is negative.

1. What are lens and mirror combinations used for?

Lens and mirror combinations are used to manipulate and control light in order to create images. They are commonly used in various optical instruments such as cameras, telescopes, and microscopes.

2. What is the difference between a lens and a mirror?

A lens is a transparent material with curved surfaces that refracts light, while a mirror is a smooth, reflective surface that reflects light. Both can be used to manipulate light, but in different ways.

3. How do lens and mirror combinations work together?

Lens and mirror combinations work together to form images by utilizing the properties of refraction and reflection. The lens refracts light and the mirror reflects the light, allowing the final image to be formed.

4. What are the advantages of using lens and mirror combinations?

The advantages of using lens and mirror combinations include their ability to focus and magnify light, their versatility in creating different types of images, and their compact size compared to other optical components.

5. What are some common types of lens and mirror combinations?

Some common types of lens and mirror combinations include convex lenses with concave mirrors (used in telescopes), concave lenses with convex mirrors (used in reflector microscopes), and plano-convex lenses with flat mirrors (used in cameras).