Getting Started with Lens Design

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of lens design and the individual's desire to learn more about it. They mention their inexperience in the field and their access to design software. The conversation also includes recommendations for training courses and books, as well as suggestions for starting with paraxial approximations and consulting optical system catalogs. They also suggest practicing simple problems to ensure realistic designs.
please suggest some good references for lens design.

i wish to start from scratch..
i am a complete amateur in this field.

Science news on Phys.org
You'll have to narrow down the topic a lot: are you *making* lenses? are you designing an optical system (and for what purpose)? Do you have access to design software (Zemax, etc.)?

I intend to work in the field of designing optical systems..
I do have access to OSLO and Zemax.. but I need to obtain a tutorial in that as well, although the manuals are a great help but I guess a training session is essential.
It'd b great if u could also suggest training courses for the same.

Guess you will also need some basic optical design books from Laikin, Kingslake

Also About Practical Computer-Aided Lens Design by Gregory Hallock Smith is almost a must if you are using Zemax

Hmm. I think it's very difficult to learn 'optical system design'. There are many different types of optical system, and you can probably spend a long time learning just one type.

To begin with you can get away with paraxial approximations. I'd suggest looking at some catalogues (Melles Griot, Thor Labs, Newport). These often have a bit of theory and also show the bits of kit that are usually available.

Once you've done that try solving some simple problems like collimating light from an optical fibre and imaging something with a specific magnification. Ensure that you can buy the optics for this, to ensure you are designing realistic systems.

1. What is lens design?

Lens design is the process of creating optical systems that can manipulate and focus light to produce a desired image or outcome. This can include designing lenses for cameras, microscopes, telescopes, and other optical instruments.

2. What are the basic components of a lens design?

The basic components of a lens design include the lens itself, which is made up of one or more curved surfaces, and the surrounding materials such as glass or plastic. Other important components include the lens mounting, aperture, and any additional elements such as filters or coatings.

3. What are the key factors to consider when designing a lens?

When designing a lens, it is important to consider factors such as the desired focal length, aperture size, and image quality. Other key considerations include the materials used, the shape and curvature of the lens surfaces, and any aberrations or distortions that may affect the final image.

4. What tools or software are commonly used for lens design?

There are several software programs specifically designed for lens design, such as Zemax, Code V, and OpticStudio. These programs use mathematical algorithms and simulations to help optimize the design for the desired outcome. Other tools such as optical design software and ray tracing programs can also be useful in the lens design process.

5. Is lens design a complex process?

Lens design can be a complex process, as it involves a combination of physics, mathematics, and computer simulations. It also requires a thorough understanding of optics and the specific application for which the lens is being designed. However, with the right tools and knowledge, anyone can learn to design lenses and create high-quality optical systems.