1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Lens equation problem

1. Dec 9, 2004 #1
    Hi my teacher assigned a few challenging optics problems, I got most of them but im stuck on this one..

"Find a position on the principle axis that will ensure |hi| = ho ".

When is the height of the image equal to the height of the object? How would I go about solving this?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 9, 2004 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Another way to phrase the question: When is the linear magnification equal to 1 (or -1)?

4. Dec 9, 2004 #3
  5. Dec 9, 2004 #4
    magnification equal to negative 1? how? ...........

how can you have negative magnification? I understand the positive 1, and doesn't the absolute value bars around "hi" mean we're only concidering positive answers? ...

Socceryjayl thanks for the website ... but lol I still don't know how they found 2F to be that point where hi = ho

6. Dec 9, 2004 #5

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Doc knows what he's talking about.The transversal linear magnification is defined by a ratio between two real numbers.As far as i know,such ratio should yield a positive number,or a negative one or zero.(In this special case,+-infinty is an accepted solution).In your case,for your relation to hold it could be as well "-1" as "+1".

Daniel.

Show us your work,to see what u're doing wrong.

7. Dec 9, 2004 #6
    lol I know Doc knows his stuff im not doubting him.

ok well I used m = |hi|/ho to get m = 1.

and m = -di/do, so 1 = -di/do ... I cross multiplied to get do = -di ........

I subbed do = -di into the equation 1/do + 1/di = 1/f

When I solved for f by doing -1/di + 1/di = 1/f

I got 0 = 1/f ....

But uhh... thats not a position on the principal axis, I dont see how they (in the website soccer gave me) they got 2F for the point where |hi| = ho

8. Dec 10, 2004 #7

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

The key is to realize that the heights will be equal when the distances are equal. Take a convex lens (f is positive) as an example. What condition will allow di = do? Using the lens equation: 1/di + 1/do = 1/f, so 1/do + 1/do = 1/f, thus do = 2f. This means that if we put the object at distance of 2f in front of the lens, the image will be a distance 2f behind the lens: and the heights will be equal. (In this case, m = - di/do = -1. The image is upside down.)

9. Dec 10, 2004 #8
    Ohh I see, okay thanks...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?