Finding Distance d for Infinity Image: Diverging and Converging Lens Problem

In summary, the problem involves an object placed 12.8 cm to the left of a diverging lens with a focal length of -6.35 cm, and a converging lens with a focal length of 12.8 cm placed a distance d to the right of the diverging lens. The goal is to find the distance d that will create an image at infinity. Using the equation 1/f=1/di+1/do, the solution involves solving for di multiple times, with the final answer being -22.41 cm. A request is made to read the problem carefully and not ask about variables already explained, and a suggestion to draw a ray diagram is given to help with understanding.
premed_love

Homework Statement

An object is placed 12.8 cm to the left of a diverging lens of focal length -6.35 cm. A converging lens of focal length 12.8 cm is placed a distance of d to the right of the diverging lens. Find the distance d that places the final image at infinity

Homework Equations

1/f=1/di+1/do

The Attempt at a Solution

I understand that I have a few unknowns and need to solve this a couple of times to discover the di:

So [/B]1/f=1/di +1/do : MAIN EQUATION
Di: 1/(-6.635)=1/di+1/(12.8cm). gives me di of -4.244 cm
Do2: 4.244+25.6=29.844 cm
1/do2+1/di2=1/f2 (1/2984)+1/di2=1/12.8cm

Eventually I end up with -22.41 cm.

I don't know if I am supposed to solve this for 2nd time through lens. Therefore, I thought I ended up -22.41 cm. However, that is not right. Please help.

I have a small request: Please read the problem very carefully. I do not want to answer what kind of mirror this is if the problem already answers it. I have had to answer questions regarding variables that I clearly explained in the problem. Please refrain from it. I want to learn so if you ask me a question to help me better understand the problem than that is fine. BUT DO NOT ASK ME ABOUT WHAT THE VARIABLES ARE BECAUSE I FEEL LIKE I AM REPEATING MYSELF RATHER THAN LEARNING ANYTHING NEW.

Physics news on Phys.org
premed_love said:

Homework Statement

An object is placed 12.8 cm to the left of a diverging lens of focal length -6.35 cm. A converging lens of focal length 12.8 cm is placed a distance of d to the right of the diverging lens. Find the distance d that places the final image at infinity

Homework Equations

1/f=1/di+1/do

The Attempt at a Solution

I understand that I have a few unknowns and need to solve this a couple of times to discover the di:

So [/B]1/f=1/di +1/do : MAIN EQUATION
Di: 1/(-6.635)=1/di+1/(12.8cm). gives me di of -4.244 cm
Do2: 4.244+25.6=29.844 cm
1/do2+1/di2=1/f2 (1/2984)+1/di2=1/12.8cm

Eventually I end up with -22.41 cm.

I don't know if I am supposed to solve this for 2nd time through lens. Therefore, I thought I ended up -22.41 cm. However, that is not right. Please help.

I have a small request: Please read the problem very carefully. I do not want to answer what kind of mirror this is if the problem already answers it. I have had to answer questions regarding variables that I clearly explained in the problem. Please refrain from it. I want to learn so if you ask me a question to help me better understand the problem than that is fine. BUT DO NOT ASK ME ABOUT WHAT THE VARIABLES ARE BECAUSE I FEEL LIKE I AM REPEATING MYSELF RATHER THAN LEARNING ANYTHING NEW.

I think that it might help you if you drew a ray diagram. Remember that for a converging lens, an image at infinity is achieved by placing the object at its focus.

By ray tracing, once you find out where the virtual image is from the diverging lens, you need to place the left-hand-side focus of the converging lens on top of the image for the diverging lens.

Also, in the problem statement you say that the focal length of th ediverging lens is -6.35 cm, while in the work you show, you have a value of -6.635 cm. I suspect that this is a typo.

When you check your answer, you might think about what this lens combination is acting like. You have effectively increased the focal length of a short-focal length lens. Does this match your picture?

1. How do I solve a lens problem?

Solving a lens problem involves identifying the specific issue with the lens, such as scratches or dust, and determining the best course of action to fix it. This could include cleaning, repairs, or replacement.

2. What are some common lens problems?

Some common lens problems include scratches, dust or debris inside the lens, and malfunctioning autofocus or zoom mechanisms.

3. How can I prevent lens problems?

To prevent lens problems, it is important to handle your lenses with care, avoid exposing them to extreme temperatures or moisture, and regularly clean and maintain them.

4. Can I fix a lens problem myself?

Depending on the severity of the lens problem, it may be possible to fix it yourself. However, if you are not familiar with lens repair, it is best to seek professional help to avoid causing further damage.

5. Is it worth it to repair a lens?

Whether or not it is worth it to repair a lens depends on the cost of the repair and the value of the lens. In some cases, it may be more cost-effective to replace the lens rather than repair it.