1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Lens question

1. May 15, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

the question is attached

de.jpg

3. The attempt at a solution

ok so a and b i can do but c), i donts know whether my answer is right and im a little confused about the conceptual idea...

so first thing i did was found the radius of curvature using the lens maker equ using the original setup in air...this i found to be 16cm... [note r1 = -r2]

next i found the focal length in the water situation (i know it doesn't ask for it but still)...this i found to be -81.8cm...
    this confuses me cause i thought that only concave lens had negative focal lengths and this is a concave lens...also can the focal length be greater than the radius in a lens? i think it can but cant find anywhere that confirms this...

now to find the image distance s' ...... 1/f = 1/s + 1/s'

i got s' = -37.73cm

then magnification i can do but is what ive done ok?
    also can you have a diverging lens that is concave if the object is infront of the focal length? cause that is the only reason that i can think for the focal length to be negative...

Last edited: May 15, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. May 15, 2009 #2
    ok i just drew the ray diagram and my image was on the same side as the object which agrees with the negative sign for the s'...but the image is further away than the focal point

see attached

Attached Files:

• rr4.jpg
      rr4.jpg
      File size:
      7.5 KB
      Views:
  4. May 15, 2009 #3
    ive figured it out so no need to answer

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook