Solving the Mystery of the Broken Projector: +5.5 or +6.5?

In summary: So, even if the lens has more power, it's not always necessary. The goal is to find the lens with the best picture. Power is not always necessary to achieve this.
baileya

Homework Statement

You have paid big bucks to see Season of the Witch at the 3-D IMAX theater in Vancouver. Just before the movie is about to begin, the theater staff tell you that the lens for the projector has just broken! You really want to see the movie and decide that it should be simple to set up a single lens system to project their 60mm film onto a 9 meter tall screen - if you just had a lens!? Fortunately you are there with your great aunt who wears REALLY thick glasses. One of her lenses has an optical power of +5.5 m-1, and the other has a power of +6.5 m-1 (optical power is 1/f). If the screen is 27-m away from the lens, can you save the day and fix the "projector" with one of these lenses?
Which lens would work best?

Homework Equations

1/p+1/q=1/f m=hi/ho

The Attempt at a Solution

I can draw ray diagrams, etc. and figure that all out... I just don't know how one would work better than another?

Physics news on Phys.org
One would work better in terms of producing a better image.

what m-1 means?

cupid.callin said:
what m-1 means?

so you mean to say that the +6.5 would work better?

No I'm asking what m-1 means in power? :rofl:

oh m-1 is the same as 1/focal length

you have height of image, object, image distance
you an find object distance

the use object distance, image distance to find and then find power!
the use lens having value closer to your value

so the best lens is the lens with the highest power?

baileya said:
so the best lens is the lens with the highest power?
The better lens makes the better picture on the screen. Bigger power doesn't necessarily mean better picture (focus) on the screen. It depends on the geometry of the lens and such.

You must work the numbers out and see which one forms an image close to where the image needs to be created (screen).

frozenguy said:
The better lens makes the better picture on the screen. Bigger power doesn't necessarily mean better picture (focus) on the screen. It depends on the geometry of the lens and such.

You must work the numbers out and see which one forms an image close to where the image needs to be created (screen).

power is related to focal length and focal length is related to image distance, then how is power is not related to making better image?
and both lenses will form image at screes at one or other point ... what will matter will the size of object!

@ baileya

i told you that the power closer the the power you'll find will be the better lens! in this case it might be the lens with more power but this is not always true!

cupid.callin said:
power is related to focal length and focal length is related to image distance, then how is power is not related to making better image?
and both lenses will form image at screes at one or other point ... what will matter will the size of object! @ baileya

i told you that the power closer the the power you'll find will be the better lens! in this case it might be the lens with more power but this is not always true!

? I didn't say power isn't related. All I said was the goal of choosing the right lens was trying to get the best picture. I was hoping to hint to him the reason to choose a certain lens over the other as opposed to just telling him. I know power is related to focal length.. The more 'power', the smaller the focal length right?
An image is in best focus at its focal length, regardless of its power.

1. How do you determine the correct lens to use for the projector?

The correct lens for a projector is based on the desired screen size and distance from the projector to the screen. The distance between the lens and the screen is known as the throw distance, and it is typically listed in the projector's specifications. You can use a throw distance calculator or consult the projector's user manual to determine the appropriate lens for your specific setup.

2. How do you troubleshoot a broken projector?

To troubleshoot a broken projector, first check that all cables are securely connected and the projector is receiving power. If the issue persists, try replacing the lamp or checking for any error messages on the projector's display. If the problem still occurs, consult the projector's user manual for further troubleshooting steps or contact the manufacturer for assistance.

3. How do you determine the cause of a blurry or distorted image on a projector?

A blurry or distorted image on a projector can be caused by a number of factors, including a dirty lens, incorrect input resolution, or a faulty projector. First, try cleaning the lens with a soft cloth to remove any dust or debris. Next, check that the input resolution matches the native resolution of the projector. If the issue persists, it may be a sign of a faulty projector and should be inspected by a professional.

4. What can cause a projector to suddenly turn off or shut down?

A projector may suddenly turn off or shut down due to a variety of reasons, including overheating, a faulty power source, or a failing lamp. To prevent overheating, make sure the projector has proper ventilation and is not blocked by any objects. If the power source is the issue, try plugging the projector into a different outlet or using a different power cord. If the lamp is failing, it will need to be replaced.

5. How do you calibrate a projector for optimal image quality?

To calibrate a projector for optimal image quality, start by adjusting the focus and zoom of the lens to ensure a clear and properly sized image. Next, use a calibration disc or software to adjust the brightness, contrast, and color settings. It may also be helpful to use a colorimeter or spectrophotometer to fine-tune the colors. It's important to periodically calibrate the projector to maintain optimal image quality.