1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Lens question

1. May 5, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Screen Shot 2016-05-05 at 11.40.31 PM.png

2. Relevant equations
    1/do+1/di=1/f

3. The attempt at a solution
    I tried finding the distance of image at 27m and then at 30.5m and taking the difference but that didn't work.

2. jcsd
  3. May 5, 2016 #2

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

Does that mean you tried to find the average speed of the image? I think their talking about "initial speed" indicates that they want instantaneous speed.

4. May 6, 2016 #3

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Your method gives the average velocity in the first second. It is a good approximation, if you calculate the image distances with enough significant digits (five at least). Show your work.

5. May 6, 2016 #4
    How would I perform the calculation with instantaneous speed?

6. May 6, 2016 #5
    I tried doing this but unfortunately this didn't give me the correct answer. Is there a more accurate way of doing this?

7. May 6, 2016 #6

jtbell

How do you get instantaneous speed (or more precisely, velocity) from position?

8. May 6, 2016 #7
    derivative?

9. May 6, 2016 #8

jtbell

Yup.

10. May 6, 2016 #9
    Ok cool, I'm still a little confused how i would apply it to this problem however.

11. May 6, 2016 #10

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What did you get? Yes, taking the derivative of di would be more accurate, but not much different.

12. May 6, 2016 #11

jtbell

You know the relationship between ##d_0## and ##d_i##: $$\frac 1 {d_o} + \frac 1 {d_i} = \frac 1 f.$$ Take the derivative with respect to t, of both sides of this equation, and you'll have a relationship between ##\frac {dd_o}{dt}## and ##\frac {dd_i}{dt}##.

13. May 6, 2016 #12

jtbell

With Δt = 1 s I get about a 13% difference in the final answer, using the full precision of my calculator.

I agree, if Dan shows us his working, we can tell him if he at least calculated that approximation correctly.

14. May 6, 2016 #13

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, it is true.

15. May 6, 2016 #14

jtbell

Good luck... if I want to get up for work in the morning I need to go to bed now. :oldwink:

16. May 6, 2016 #15
    I am getting .00011 if i do it using the approximation with average velocity. It marks this as incorrect.

17. May 6, 2016 #16

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

OK, is the image moving towards the lens, or away from it?

The method with differentiation must be more accurate. Differentiate the equation ##\frac {1} {d_o} + \frac {1} {d_i} = \frac {1} {f} ## with respect to time and solve it for di'.

18. May 6, 2016 #17

jtbell

Yes, that's what I got. Another way to get more accuracy would be to use a smaller time interval. In principle, if you make it small enough, the answer will get close enough to the exact answer to make your software happy. But you have to be very careful to avoid roundoff errors.

19. May 6, 2016 #18
    Great i ended up doing this and got the right answer. Thanks!

20. May 6, 2016 #19

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

If you differentiate the equation ##\frac {1} {d_o} + \frac {1} {d_i} = \frac {1} {f}## you get ##-\frac {1} {d_o^2} d_o' -\frac {1} {d_i^2} d_i'=0##. Solve for di'.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted