1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Lens silvered at one face

1. May 13, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Its not a specific question but a general one to solve similar questions. I need to find focal length of a lens silvered at one face

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I know a convex lens silvered at one face will behave as an effective concave lens. But i need to find the equations. I can do it by individually solving each case but need a faster one.
    My book says that the effective power, P = P(L) + P(M) +P(L).....P(L) is power of lens P(M) is power of mirror. I dont know why this works?

For two lenses kept close i understand why P = P1 + P2 but don't how this works in lens-mirror case too.
    Any Help?

2. jcsd
  3. May 13, 2012 #2

sk9

Actually it does. Just do it logically. I think that powers add because of formula being 1/v -1/u , so when you add p2 the image of 1 is oblect for 2 so basically it cancels out .p1 +p2 is just using the lens formula ignorantly . Ensure that proper sing and conditions are followed.Hope that helps

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook