1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Lens simulation with MTF

1. Oct 16, 2013 #1
    Hello,

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    and
    2. Relevant equations

I need to simulate a camera given it's Modulation Transfer Function (MTF), which is a polynomial f(x). The expression for the MTF is:

y = 2E-08x4 + 0.0008x2 - 0.464x + 1.0076

(with x the spatial frequency in number of cycles/mm).

In order to simulate the effect of the lens in each image, I have to apply the following algorithm:

• Compute the 2D Fast Fourier Transform (FFT) of the input image
    • Compute the frequency image corresponding to the MTF (I think this should be done only once, at the beginning)
    • Multiply the two frequency images obtained (Complex FFT * MTF)
    • Inverse the image obtained (with inverse FFT) to compute the final image
    This is equivalent to a frequency convolution of the original image with the MTF.

3. The attempt at a solution

I don't understand how I should obtain the frequency image corresponding to the MTF. I think I should calculate a matrix with horizontal and vertical frequencies:

MTFi,j = h(fx,fy)

However, the polynomial expression that I have for the MTF is a function of only one variable, the spatial frequency x.

f(x) = 2E-08x4 + 0.0008x2 - 0.464x + 1.0076

How should I build the elements MTFi,j of the two-dimensional MTF matrix from this MTF function f(x)?

I think I should have two spatial frequencies fx and fy to calculate the MTF frequency image, but the MTF is given as function of a single spatial frequency by camera manufacturers.

Thanks in advance,
    Miguel
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?