1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Lens Thirring Effect

1. Nov 13, 2009 #1
    Hello,

Can someone update me about the success of gravity probe 2 please?

Narasimha!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 13, 2009 #2
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2017
  4. Nov 13, 2009 #3

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Are any of these published in peer-reviewed journals?

5. Nov 14, 2009 #4
    Sure - the Tajmar results have been mentioned in several of his journal papers. EHT is to get an AIP paper out soon - passed 2 levels of peeer review and is at the final stage.

6. Nov 14, 2009 #5

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Can you give me a reference? I see conference proceedings, but no refereed journals that discuss this.

7. Nov 14, 2009 #6
  8. Nov 16, 2009 #7
    Vanadium 50, I searched the net I cannot see if NASA's final report is published in any peer-reviewed article, so I am not sure if this is a worthwhile test for telling frame-dragging due to earth's rotation.

What I did manage to lay my hands on is a document at stanford university website:http://einstein.stanford.edu/content...020509-web.pdf [Broken]

I quote the below from the pdf doc page 6. "The gyroscope is a spinning spherical body. Conceptually, therefore, Gravity Probe B is simple. All it needs is a star, a telescope, and a spinning sphere. The difficulty lies in the numbers. To reach the 0.5 marc-s/yr experiment goal calls for:
    1) One or more exceedingly accurate gyroscopes with drift rates < 10-11 deg/hr, i.e. 6 to 7 orders of magnitude better than the best modeled inertial navigation gyroscopes
    2) A reference telescope ~3 orders of magnitude better than the best previous star trackers
    3) A sufficiently bright suitably located guide star (IM Pegasi was chosen) whose proper motion with respect to remote inertial space is known to <0.5 marc-s/yr
    4) Sufficiently accurate orbit information to calibrate the science signal and calculate the two predicted effects"

Going by its method I am not sure what is it really trying to prove and accomplish?

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook