1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Lenz' Law question

1. Aug 4, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A long, straight wire lies on a table and carries a current I. As the drawing shows, a small circular loop of wire is pushed across the top of the table from position 1 to position 2. Determine the direction of the induced current, clockwise or counterclockwise, as the loop moves past position 1 and position 2.

2. Relevant equations

No equations, but the right hand grip rule is relevant.

3. The attempt at a solution

So I got the first part of the question right. I know that because the wire's current is going right, the right hand grip rule suggests that the magnetic field is pointing out of the screen/page. At position A, the table top has no field and the wire will want to resist the flux change. Therefore, a field will point downwards, opposite the direction of that of the wire, leading to a clockwise current at A.

However, B also has a clockwise current. My reasoning was that if the looped wire is within the field generated by the wire, its magnetic field would also be out of the screen/page, and therefore if it is pushed back to the flux-less table top, the flux would decrease. To oppose this, I thought that the secondary magnetic force would be out of the page, and the loop at B would be counterclockwise. So why is it actually clockwise?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 4, 2015 #2

Hesch

Gold Member

In the first situation (1) the loop closes up the wire: the flux through the loop increases.
    In the second situation the loop moves away from the wire ( the flux in the loop decreases ) but at the same time, the flux from the wire has changed direction:

http://onlinephys.com/magnet6.gif

4. Aug 4, 2015 #3
    How do you know that the flux from the wire has changed direction? What causes it to be different from that in position A?

5. Aug 4, 2015 #4

Hesch

Gold Member

Draw a line on the paper in the figure in #2, crossing the center/wire. This line is the surface of the table. Following this line in one direction, the flux will change sign when you cross the wire/center.

It's like crossing a road: Crossing the middle of the road, the traffic will come from the other side.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2015
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted