Lenz' law

• Thread starter derek181
  • Start date
Polarity matters and you always assign polarity to everything even in AC. If you don't take polarity into account how else do you analyze AC circuits. Now if you have an AC source hooked up to one coil the coil will always have the same polarity no matter how you insert the coil into the circuit. If you don't understand I suggest you pick up a book because I cannot explain this anymore.

Andrew Mason
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Polarity matters and you always assign polarity to everything even in AC. If you don't take polarity into account how else do you analyze AC circuits. Now if you have an AC source hooked up to one coil the coil will always have the same polarity no matter how you insert the coil into the circuit. If you don't understand I suggest you pick up a book because I cannot explain this anymore.
The polarity changes twice every cycle (e.g every 1/120th of a second). What do you mean that it will always have the same polarity?

AM

We assign a polarity to an AC source and everything else in the circuit is referenced to that assigned polarity of the source.

Andrew Mason
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
...please tell me why wattmeters have polarity markings?
Polarity matters and you always assign polarity to everything even in AC. If you don't take polarity into account how else do you analyze AC circuits?
We assign a polarity to an AC source and everything else in the circuit is referenced to that assigned polarity of the source.
You appear to have answered your own question. Unfortunately, I am not sure what the issue was.

AM

Last edited: