1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Lenz's Law and EMF wire

1. Mar 11, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A wire is bent into three circular segments each of radius r=9.2 cm. each segment is a quadrant of circle, ab lying in the xy plane, bc, in the yz plane, and ca lying in the zx plane. If a uniform magnetic field points in the positive x direction, what is in volts the magnitude of the emf developed in the wire when B increases at the rate of 3.4 mT/s?

2. Relevant equations
    so what i used was faraday's law and lenz's law by using the formula
    [tex]\epsilon[/tex]=d(B A)/dt
    and then since area (A) is constant you can bring it out. and area would equal 1/4[tex]\pi[/tex]r[tex]^{2}[/tex] and the dB/dt is given. the only problem is that i dont know what to do with the components as you have the pieces on all three axis and how wood i deal with each component?
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 12, 2008 #2

There are no components for the EMF. Your projected area seems right.
    Just multiply A and dB/dt.
  4. Mar 12, 2008 #3
    oh so jus do it for each section and add it up or make it 3/4pi*r^2 time dB/dt
  5. Mar 12, 2008 #4

No. The projected area area for the flux is just the pi*r^2/4.
  6. Mar 12, 2008 #5
    oh ok thanks alot
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?