Analyzing Conditions for Current Flow Through Resistor R

In summary, the question asks under what conditions would current flow through resistor R in the opposite direction from right to left. The answers provided are a) when the current I is increasing, b) when the current I is constant, c) when the current I is decreasing, or d) all of the above. According to Lenz's law, an induced current always flows in a direction that opposes the change that caused it. Therefore, the correct answer is c) when the current I is decreasing, as this would create a change in flux out of the page, in the opposite direction from the original current flow. The reasoning behind this is that the magnetic field from the current points into the loop, and as it decreases, the change in
mike1234

Homework Statement

wireandlooplenzslaw.jpg
The drawing shows a wire loop near a current -carrying wire. Under what conditions would current flow through resistor R from Right to left?

Homework Equations

Lenz's law

The Attempt at a Solution

4 answers
a) when the current I is increasing
b)when the current I is constant
c)when the current I is decreasing
d)all of the above

I think its C but not sure

Physics news on Phys.org
Why aren't you sure? What's your reasoning?

well I know according to Lenz's Law an induced current always flows in a direction that opposes the change that caused it. but with answer C it just decreasing but not heading in the opposite direction so I was not sure

The magnetic field from the current points into the loop (into the page). Since it's decreasing, the change in flux is out of the page. (You've got it.)

1. What is a resistor and how does it affect current flow?

A resistor is an electrical component that restricts the flow of current in a circuit. It does this by converting electrical energy into heat, which dissipates the excess energy and reduces the current flow. The higher the resistance of the resistor, the lower the current flow will be.

2. How do you calculate the current flow through a resistor?

The current flow through a resistor can be calculated using Ohm's Law, which states that current (I) is equal to the voltage (V) divided by the resistance (R). In equation form, this is written as I = V/R. This means that as the resistance increases, the current decreases, and vice versa.

3. What factors affect the resistance of a resistor?

The resistance of a resistor is affected by several factors, including the material it is made of, its length and cross-sectional area, and the temperature. Different materials have different levels of resistance, and as the length or cross-sectional area of a resistor changes, so does its resistance. Additionally, the resistance of a resistor typically increases as the temperature increases.

4. How does the voltage affect the current flow through a resistor?

The voltage applied to a resistor determines the amount of current that will flow through it. As the voltage increases, the current will also increase if the resistance remains constant. However, if the resistance changes, the current flow will be affected differently depending on whether the voltage or the resistance changes more.

5. What are some applications of analyzing conditions for current flow through a resistor?

Analyzing the conditions for current flow through a resistor is important in various fields such as electrical engineering, physics, and electronics. It helps to understand and design circuits, calculate power dissipation, and determine the appropriate resistors to use in a circuit. It is also crucial for troubleshooting and maintaining the functionality of electronic devices.