Lenz's Law: Direction of Induced Current

In summary, Lenz's law states that the direction of an induced current in a conductor will oppose the change in magnetic field that caused it. The options given are a list of possible effects that the induced current could have, and the correct answer is option D, to oppose the effect that produces it.
wakejosh

Homework Statement

15. According to Lenz's law, the direction of an induced current in a conductor due to a change in the magnetic field near the conductor will be that which tends to produce which of the following effects?

a. Enhance the effect which produces it
b. Produce the greater heating effect
c. Produce the greatest voltage
d. Oppose the effect which produces it
e. There is no connection between the magnetic field and the flow of current

The Attempt at a Solution

My understanding is that this would be D. is this correct? any help is appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Oh, holy moderators, what is the rule for this kind of question?
For, lo!, no work has been submitted, but indeed, what sort of work can be submitted for a problem such as this?
Shall an equation alone suffice as "attempted solution"? Shall a detailed discussion of the equation be required torture? Or can we just say yes or no??

edit: WakeJosh, I have the same question about your other thread.

Right.

Lenz's law states exactly that, 'The direction of any induced current is such as to oppose the flux change which causes it'

Oppose is the key word here.

i'd say D, just because i see the words "oppose motion"

On my last physics test, i got a 96 because i forgot to mention Lenz's law. darn.

1. What is Lenz's Law?

Lenz's Law is a fundamental law in electromagnetism that states that the direction of the induced current in a conductor will always oppose the change in magnetic flux that caused it.

2. Who discovered Lenz's Law?

Lenz's Law was discovered by Russian physicist Heinrich Lenz in 1834.

3. How does Lenz's Law apply to electromagnetic induction?

Lenz's Law applies to electromagnetic induction by stating that when a magnetic field changes, it induces an electric current in a nearby conductor. This induced current will flow in a direction that creates a magnetic field that opposes the change in the original magnetic field.

4. What is the relationship between Lenz's Law and Faraday's Law?

Lenz's Law is a consequence of Faraday's Law of electromagnetic induction, which states that a changing magnetic field induces an electric field. Lenz's Law specifies the direction of the induced current, while Faraday's Law quantifies the magnitude of the induced current.

5. How is Lenz's Law used in practical applications?

Lenz's Law has many practical applications, including in generators, motors, and transformers. It is also used in electromagnetic braking systems and to protect electronic circuits from damage due to sudden changes in magnetic fields.