Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Leo Tolstoy: A Confession

1. Sep 12, 2004 #1
    Leo Tolstoy: A Confession

Has anyone read this piece? I believe i only have an excerpt, and it begins with the words Although I regarded authorship as a waste of time..." and ends in, "...i saw that that was life itself and that the meaning given to this life was truth, and i accepted it."

What are your opinions of this? Please share, im very much interested.
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 13, 2004 #2
    From that he seems to have a strong oppinion in that holding on to truth is the biggest thing you can achieve for. He put this ideal before his personal feelings on his results.
    That he was trying to find meaning and if what he did was of good. The thing that made it good was the Truth.
  4. Sep 13, 2004 #3
    Greatly said pace. I am assuming you haven't read the whole piece though? Am i correct?

I believe Tolstoy also emphasizes the need for faith. He feels faith is what will guide us into the right direction, and without faith, we are better of dead. You see, faith is what holds human nature together; without it, we become lost, mislead, and ultimately morally dead in the soul.

Anyone else willing to share?
  5. Sep 13, 2004 #4
    I think the thing is the realization of Faith. That we cannot know, so we must admit that this is what we're have. Kinda being realistic.

Thanks! And you are correct.
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2004
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?