Les Paul

1. jcsd
  2. He was a delightful person, I was able to see him a few times and own several of his guitars. Sad to see he has died, but he lived a great life. RIP

3. turbo

turbo 7,366
    Gold Member

I have owned quite a number of the guitars he designed for Gibson. I loved most of them, apart from a 1970 or so "Fretless Wonder". Too hard to do accurate blues bends with frets so low to the keyboard. Even worse, I traded a '59 Strat for it. The Strat had been stripped and refinished, but it was still 10x the guitar that the LP was. Live and learn.

4. It's a sad day for Rock and Roll.

5. Now how much are Les Paul's going to cost?!?

6. Ivan Seeking

Ivan Seeking 12,529
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4UEhDfOftdY

7. http://www.pbs.org/wnet/americanmasters/episodes/les-paul/chasing-sound/100/

[​IMG]

8. turbo

turbo 7,366
    Gold Member

It should be noted that Les Paul was an innovator, not really an inventor. Electric guitars, in the form of lap steels (Hawaiian guitars) and amplifiers had already been around for about a decade. He, like other guitarists (Eldon Shamblin with Bob Wills, and Charlie Christian with Benny Goodman, for instance) needed amplification to bring the guitar out of the rhythm section and into its own as a lead instrument. Guitar was too quiet in a band setting to compete with horns, so sax, trombone, clarinet, and trumpet were the typical "lead" instruments.

9. Multi- track recording was also his baby, he really did change the music world.

10. If it wasn't for him, there'd be no metal. Among various other things. rip

11. brewnog

brewnog 2,793
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Mmm got my Les Paul out for the first time in a few years, forgot how nice a guitar that is. Mmmm.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share a link to this question via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?