1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Leslie matrix with no dominant eigenvalue

1. Feb 18, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

What is the consequence for a population model if the Leslie matrix used has no dominant eigenvalue?

2. Relevant equations

x(k) = Ax(k-1), where A is the Leslie matrix, x is a vector representing the initial population distribution.

x(k) is the vector of the population distribution for time period k.

3. The attempt at a solution

All I understand of the dominant eigenvalue is that over long time periods (mutliple iterations of x(k) = Ax(k-1) ), x(k) approaches lambda*x(k-1). In other words, the population distribution tends towards that given by the eigenvector associated with the dominant eigenvalue.

I understand the proof of this http://online.redwoods.cc.ca.us/instruct/darnold/LinAlg/leslie2/context-leslie2-p.pdf [Broken]

which uses the diagonalisation of A.

I've read that one consequence of A not having a dominant eigenvalue is that the population numbers will rise and fall in waves. Is this the only consequence? Can anyone direct me to resources on this? All I seem to find are pages about matrices with dominant eigenvalues, rather than ones with no dominant eigenvalue.
    Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted