1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Lesser-known career paths

1. Oct 7, 2014 #1
    Everybody on pf seems to be recommending the obvious career paths for physics graduates. IT, engineering etc.

I was wondering what lesser-known/surprising career options there are? Careers or jobs you might not expect a physics grad to be qualified for?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 7, 2014 #2

td21

Gold Member

Education is a career path you have not mentioned and i think more physics graduates will become teachers or TA in secondary schools and primary schools, or even colleges.

4. Oct 9, 2014 #3
    I know of two very popular graduates with physics degrees who became automobile mechanics and radio talk show hosts. You may have heard of Tom and Ray Magliozzi...

Seriously, a degree in Physics is much like any degree in the liberal arts, except that one who has a degree in physics actually understand much of the science that eludes most liberal arts majors.

You can do just about anything with a physics degree as long as you aren't seeking employment in any company large enough to have an HR department.

5. Oct 9, 2014 #4
    Being a physics grad alone doesn't qualify you for any job. Its your skills and ability (and luck) that qualify you for a job. If you are a good physics grad you are qualified to be a physics graduate student. Otherwise, you can retrain or start at an entry level just like any other grad or non-grad can.

6. Oct 9, 2014 #5
    Agree with ModusPwnd. I'm an actuary, which I think is an unusual (but hardly unheard of) path for someone with a physics education. I wouldn't say my background made me qualified, though.

7. Oct 11, 2014 #6

esuna

Gold Member

8. Oct 12, 2014 #7
    I know of several physics grad people who work in banks. Moreover the research field of "human dynamics" opens us a lot of new possibilities, for exemple in marketing or sociology.

Another less-known career is scientific journalist and I think we really need good ones...

9. Oct 12, 2014 #8
    Maybe my expectations are completely out of whack, but Journalism in general, particularly Journalism ethics, are suffering very badly. In part it is because the need for beat reporters isn't the same as it was before. However, there are areas where investigative and technical journalism can still shine. I think a good technical journalist with a strong background in physics has a solid, productive place. The problem is marketing that column. The big syndication firms are suffering because they're getting bypassed by the Internet.

In other words, you have to build a reputation. Building a reputation on the Internet takes time, effort and money. But it can be done.

10. Oct 12, 2014 #9
    If you are talking about BS in physics, law school and med school.

11. Oct 12, 2014 #10
    I see a theme here... If you are talking about a BS in physics, more school. IIRC somewhere around 70-80% of physics BS grads end up doing more school.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook