Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Let An Bn and Cn be sequences satisfying An<=Bn<=Cn

1. Jun 16, 2005 #1
    hello all

been workin on this problem:
    let An Bn and Cn be sequences satisfying
    An<=Bn<=Cn for all n an element of the natural numbers
    suppose that An->x and Cn->x, where x is a real number show that Bn->x
    this is how i did it

[tex]A_n\le B_n\le C_n \forall n\epsilon N[/tex]

[tex]A_n\longrightarrow x,C_n\longrightarrow x\ \forall x\epsilon \Re[/tex]

[tex]\lim_{n\to\infty}A_n\le\lim_{n\to\infty}B_n\le\lim_{n\to\infty}C_n[/tex]

[tex]x\le\lim_{n\to\infty}B_n\le x[/tex]

therefore by the squeeze theorem [tex]B_n\longrightarrow x[/tex]

would this be correct, and are there any other ways of proving it?

thanxs

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 16, 2005 #2

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What you wrote it confusing, for many reasons. First, the question

"Let An Bn and Cn be sequences satisfying An<=Bn<=Cn for all n an element of the natural numbers. Suppose that An->x and Cn->x, where x is a real number. Show that Bn->x."

must mean "prove the squeeze theorem". Otherwise, Bn->x is just the statement of the squeeze theorem and there's nothing to show at all.

Secondly, line #2 makes no sense (because if the limit of An exists, it is unique), but it was probably a typo.

Thirdly, you invoque the squeeze theorem after line #4 tu justify that Bn->x. But this is just a consequence of the axiom of the real numbers according to which for all x,y in R, we can only have one of the 3: x<y, x=y, x>y. So if we encounter an inequality of the type [itex]y\leq x \leq y[/itex], it must be that y=x. So lim Bn = x.

But in essence, your had the right proof.

4. Jun 16, 2005 #3

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The real rigourous proof involves the old N and [itex]\epsilon[/itex] though... because that's the language to use when one talks about limits.

5. Jun 16, 2005 #4
    It seems to me that this proof assumes that [itex]\lim_{n\rightarrow\infty}B_n[/itex] exists.

6. Jun 16, 2005 #5
    hello guys

well I had proved it through N-E method in which was succesful, based upon your replies above, would i be right to say that my original method is not sufficiant enough to prove it since i have used the assumption that the limit of Bn exists and that i have used the sqeeze theorem while trying to prove the sqeeze theorem, which is i think they call a fallacy,

steven

7. Jun 17, 2005 #6

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I already pointed out that what you did after line #4 is not used the squeeze theorem but simply the axioms of the real numbers.

But I think master coda has a good point.. and in an exam that proof wouldn't be worth many points imo.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?