An<=Bn<=Cn for all n an element of the natural numbers
suppose that An->x and Cn->x, where x is a real number show that Bn->x
this is how i did it

[tex]A_n\le B_n\le C_n \forall n\epsilon N[/tex]

[tex]A_n\longrightarrow x,C_n\longrightarrow x\ \forall x\epsilon \Re[/tex]

[tex]\lim_{n\to\infty}A_n\le\lim_{n\to\infty}B_n\le\lim_{n\to\infty}C_n[/tex]

[tex]x\le\lim_{n\to\infty}B_n\le x[/tex]

therefore by the squeeze theorem [tex]B_n\longrightarrow x[/tex]

would this be correct, and are there any other ways of proving it?

thanxs

quasar987

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
What you wrote it confusing, for many reasons. First, the question

"Let An Bn and Cn be sequences satisfying An<=Bn<=Cn for all n an element of the natural numbers. Suppose that An->x and Cn->x, where x is a real number. Show that Bn->x."

must mean "prove the squeeze theorem". Otherwise, Bn->x is just the statement of the squeeze theorem and there's nothing to show at all.

Secondly, line #2 makes no sense (because if the limit of An exists, it is unique), but it was probably a typo.

Thirdly, you invoque the squeeze theorem after line #4 tu justify that Bn->x. But this is just a consequence of the axiom of the real numbers according to which for all x,y in R, we can only have one of the 3: x<y, x=y, x>y. So if we encounter an inequality of the type [itex]y\leq x \leq y[/itex], it must be that y=x. So lim Bn = x.

But in essence, your had the right proof.

quasar987

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
The real rigourous proof involves the old N and [itex]\epsilon[/itex] though... because that's the language to use when one talks about limits.

It seems to me that this proof assumes that [itex]\lim_{n\rightarrow\infty}B_n[/itex] exists.

hello guys

well I had proved it through N-E method in which was succesful, based upon your replies above, would i be right to say that my original method is not sufficiant enough to prove it since i have used the assumption that the limit of Bn exists and that i have used the sqeeze theorem while trying to prove the sqeeze theorem, which is i think they call a fallacy,

steven

quasar987

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
I already pointed out that what you did after line #4 is not used the squeeze theorem but simply the axioms of the real numbers.

But I think master coda has a good point.. and in an exam that proof wouldn't be worth many points imo.

Physics Forums Values

We Value Quality
• Topics based on mainstream science
• Proper English grammar and spelling
We Value Civility
• Positive and compassionate attitudes
• Patience while debating
We Value Productivity
• Disciplined to remain on-topic
• Recognition of own weaknesses
• Solo and co-op problem solving

Hot Threads