Let An Bn and Cn be sequences satisfying An<=Bn<=Cn

• Thread starter steven187
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sequences
In summary, the author proved that if x is a real number then Bn->x. However, this proof requires the assumption that the limit of Bn exists.
steven187
hello all

been workin on this problem:
let An Bn and Cn be sequences satisfying
An<=Bn<=Cn for all n an element of the natural numbers
suppose that An->x and Cn->x, where x is a real number show that Bn->x
this is how i did it

[tex]A_n\le B_n\le C_n \forall n\epsilon N[/tex]

[tex]A_n\longrightarrow x,C_n\longrightarrow x\ \forall x\epsilon \Re[/tex]

[tex]\lim_{n\to\infty}A_n\le\lim_{n\to\infty}B_n\le\lim_{n\to\infty}C_n[/tex]

[tex]x\le\lim_{n\to\infty}B_n\le x[/tex]

therefore by the squeeze theorem [tex]B_n\longrightarrow x[/tex]

would this be correct, and are there any other ways of proving it?

thanxs

Physics news on Phys.org
What you wrote it confusing, for many reasons. First, the question

"Let An Bn and Cn be sequences satisfying An<=Bn<=Cn for all n an element of the natural numbers. Suppose that An->x and Cn->x, where x is a real number. Show that Bn->x."

must mean "prove the squeeze theorem". Otherwise, Bn->x is just the statement of the squeeze theorem and there's nothing to show at all.

Secondly, line #2 makes no sense (because if the limit of An exists, it is unique), but it was probably a typo.

Thirdly, you invoque the squeeze theorem after line #4 tu justify that Bn->x. But this is just a consequence of the axiom of the real numbers according to which for all x,y in R, we can only have one of the 3: x<y, x=y, x>y. So if we encounter an inequality of the type [itex]y\leq x \leq y[/itex], it must be that y=x. So lim Bn = x.

But in essence, your had the right proof.

The real rigourous proof involves the old N and [itex]\epsilon[/itex] though... because that's the language to use when one talks about limits.

It seems to me that this proof assumes that [itex]\lim_{n\rightarrow\infty}B_n[/itex] exists.

hello guys

well I had proved it through N-E method in which was succesful, based upon your replies above, would i be right to say that my original method is not sufficiant enough to prove it since i have used the assumption that the limit of Bn exists and that i have used the sqeeze theorem while trying to prove the sqeeze theorem, which is i think they call a fallacy,

steven

I already pointed out that what you did after line #4 is not used the squeeze theorem but simply the axioms of the real numbers.

But I think master coda has a good point.. and in an exam that proof wouldn't be worth many points imo.

1. What is the significance of the inequality An<=Bn<=Cn in the sequences?

The inequality An<=Bn<=Cn indicates that the sequences An, Bn, and Cn are related in a specific order, where the values of An are less than or equal to the values of Bn, and the values of Bn are less than or equal to the values of Cn.

2. How does the inequality An<=Bn<=Cn affect the growth rate of the sequences?

The inequality does not necessarily affect the growth rate of the sequences, as it only specifies the order of the values in the sequences. However, it can provide information about the behavior of the sequences and their limits.

3. Are there any restrictions on the values of the sequences An, Bn, and Cn in order for the inequality to hold?

No, there are no specific restrictions on the values of the sequences. As long as the values of An are less than or equal to the values of Bn, and the values of Bn are less than or equal to the values of Cn, the inequality will hold.

4. Can the inequality An<=Bn<=Cn hold for non-numerical sequences?

Yes, the inequality can hold for non-numerical sequences as long as there is a defined order for the values in the sequences. For example, it can hold for sequences of words in alphabetical order.

5. How can the inequality An<=Bn<=Cn be useful in mathematical proofs?

The inequality can be used to establish important relationships between sequences and to prove certain properties or theorems. It can also help in analyzing the behavior of sequences and their limits.