Let d = gcd(a, b), prove kd = gcd(ka, kb)

• Thread starter youvecaughtme
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discussed the meaning of "gcd" in an equation and its importance in proving that kd = gcd(ka, kb). The proof involves using the definition of greatest common divisor and understanding how it behaves when multiplied by a constant. The constant k in the equation represents a scaling factor, and this equation can be applied to any two numbers a and b as the greatest common divisor is a fundamental concept in number theory.
youvecaughtme
I feel like I am convoluting this problem. Any help is appreciated! Also, I'm not sure how to rewrite the first part to make it more readable. Any help here is appreciated, too.

Homework Statement

Let a and b be integers and let d = gcd(a, b). If k is a positive integer, prove that
kd = gcd(ka, kb).

HINT: Set d1 = gcd(ka, kb). Argue that kd is a common divisor of ka and kb, so kd
divides d1 . Next, apply Theorem 5 to argue that d1 divides kd.

2. Relevant theorems
Theorem 4: Let a and b be integers and suppose d = gcd(a, b). Then there exist integers
m and n such that d = ma + nb.

Theorem 5: Let a, and b be integers, where a and b are not both zero. Then gcd(a, b)
exists so let d = gcd(a, b). For an integer c there exist integers m and n such that
c = ma + nb if and only if c is a multiple of d.

The Attempt at a Solution

Proof. Let [itex]a, b, d \in \mathbb{Z}[/itex] such that [itex]d=\mathrm{gcd}(a,b)[/itex]. Let [itex]k[/itex] be a positive integer and set [itex]d_1=\mathrm{gcd}(ka, kb)=kma+knb \implies d_1=k(ma+nb)[/itex]. Because [itex]d|a[/itex] and [itex]d|b[/itex], [itex]d_1=kd(\frac{ma}{d}+\frac{nb}{d})[/itex]. Therefore, [itex]kd|d_1[/itex]. Using Theorem 5, because [itex]kd[/itex] divides [itex]d_1[/itex], [itex]d_1[/itex] is a multiple of [itex]d[/itex] and therefore [itex]d_1=ra+sb[/itex]

From here, I'm not sure where to go. I don't know how to introduce k back into [itex]d_1=ra+bs[/itex]

Physics news on Phys.org
and I'm also not sure how to use Theorem 4. Any help is appreciated!Since d = gcd(a, b), there exist integers m and n such that d = ma + nb by Theorem 4. Now consider kd. Since k is a positive integer, kd is also a common divisor of ka and kb. By Theorem 5, we know kd is a multiple of d, so d divides kd. Now consider d1 = gcd(ka, kb). Using Theorem 5 again, since d1 is a common divisor of ka and kb, we know d1 is a multiple of d. We also know that kd divides d1. Therefore, by Theorem 5, d1 must divide kd. Therefore, d1 = kd, and we have proven that kd = gcd(ka, kb).

1. What does "gcd" stand for in the equation?

GCD stands for "greatest common divisor". It is the largest number that divides both numbers a and b without leaving a remainder.

2. Why is it important to prove that kd = gcd(ka, kb)?

Proving this equation is important because it helps us understand the properties of the greatest common divisor and how it behaves when multiplied by a constant.

3. How do you prove kd = gcd(ka, kb)?

To prove kd = gcd(ka, kb), we can use the definition of greatest common divisor. We know that d divides both a and b, so it must also divide ka and kb. Therefore, kd is a common divisor of ka and kb. Since d is the greatest common divisor of a and b, it must also be the greatest common divisor of ka and kb. Thus, kd = gcd(ka, kb).

4. What is the significance of the constant k in the equation?

The constant k in the equation represents a scaling factor. It allows us to see how the greatest common divisor changes when we multiply both numbers a and b by the same constant.

5. Can this equation be applied to any two numbers a and b?

Yes, this equation can be applied to any two numbers a and b. The greatest common divisor is a fundamental concept in number theory and applies to all integers.