Proof of Existence of ξ in [a,b] for f(x_1) + f(x_2) +...+ f(x_n) / n

In summary, the conversation discusses different approaches to proving the existence of a point ξ in the closed and bounded interval [a,b] such that f(ξ) is equal to the average of the values of f(x_i) for all x_i in the interval. The suggested methods include using the intermediate value theorem and induction, or using the extreme value theorem and possibly skipping induction. The conversation also touches on whether or not induction is necessary for this proof.
Simkate
Let f be a continuous on the closed and bounded interval [a,b] and x_1, x_2, …, x_n ∈ [a,b]. Show that there necessarily exists ξ ∈ [a,b] such that:

f (ξ= [f(x_1) + f(x_2) + …f(x_n)] / n

How can I start this problem i am really confused! please help !

Physics news on Phys.org

What have you tried ?

Have you considered using intermediate value theorem along with induction ?

I would use the extreme value theorem first. Then use the intermediate value theorem. You can probably skip the induction.

Dick said:
I would use the extreme value theorem first. Then use the intermediate value theorem. You can probably skip the induction.
Extreme value theorem, why ? It doesn't matter I guess.

OP needs induction since we are not talking about some concrete sequence converging to something.

╔(σ_σ)╝ said:
Extreme value theorem, why ? It doesn't matter I guess.

OP needs induction since we are not talking about some concrete sequence converging to something.

If m<=f(xi)<=M, then you probably don't need induction to show sum f(xi)/n is between M and m.

Dick said:
If m<=f(xi)<=M, then you probably don't need induction to show sum f(xi)/n is between M and m.

Okay it's just a different approach. :-)

Induction seems more natural to me though.

Anyway, let me allow OP to do some thinking for him/herself.

1. What is the significance of proving the existence of ξ in [a,b] for a given function?

Proving the existence of ξ in [a,b] for a given function is important because it allows us to determine if the function has a specific property or satisfies a certain condition over the interval [a,b]. This can be useful in solving a variety of mathematical problems and in understanding the behavior of the function.

2. How is ξ determined in this proof?

ξ is determined using the Mean Value Theorem, which states that if a function is continuous on a closed interval [a,b] and differentiable on the open interval (a,b), then there exists a point ξ in (a,b) such that the slope of the tangent line at ξ is equal to the average rate of change of the function over the interval [a,b]. In our case, this average rate of change is given by f(x_1) + f(x_2) + ... + f(x_n) / n.

3. Can this proof be applied to any function over any interval?

This proof can only be applied to functions that satisfy the requirements of the Mean Value Theorem, as mentioned in the previous answer. These requirements include continuity and differentiability on the given interval. If these conditions are not met, then the proof cannot be applied.

4. How does this proof relate to the concept of a Riemann sum?

This proof is closely related to the concept of a Riemann sum, as it essentially shows that the average rate of change of a function over an interval can be represented by a Riemann sum. The Riemann sum is a method for approximating the area under a curve by dividing the interval into smaller subintervals and finding the sum of the areas of the rectangles formed by the function and the x-axis. In our proof, the average rate of change is calculated by dividing the function into n subintervals and finding the sum of the function values at the endpoints of these subintervals.

5. What are the limitations of this proof?

One limitation of this proof is that it only guarantees the existence of ξ, but it does not provide a specific value for ξ. Additionally, the Mean Value Theorem is only applicable to continuous and differentiable functions, so it cannot be used to prove the existence of ξ for functions that do not meet these criteria. Finally, this proof does not provide any information about the behavior of the function outside of the given interval [a,b].