Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Let me tell u a problem

1. Aug 24, 2003 #1
    There are three guys who go to a motel. They ask for a room, and the owner of the motel receives to them $30. After, when the three guys are at the room, the owner remember that room is only $25, so, he calls to the bellboy and say: "Give that $5 to the three guys". But tomorrow is his girlfriend's birthday, so the bellboy take $2 and only gives $3 to the three guys.

In the beginnig, each one had paid $10, but the bellboy has give them $1 to each one, so, they have paid $9 each one, and the bellboy has the $2, so... $9 + $9 + $9 + $2 = $29

So, what's happend with that last dollar?

(it is a stupidity, I know it):smile:

Last edited: Aug 24, 2003
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 24, 2003 #2
    'Nothing'
    The bellhop shortchanged the three guys by two dollars.
    Divide the two dollars among the 3 guys and you get sixty-seven cents each. Add the sixty-seven cents to the one dollar previously returned to each guy and you get one dollar sixty-seven cents times 3, which equals five dollars. Subtract the five dollars from the thirty dollars originally paid and you get the revised rate of twenty-five dollars.

4. Aug 25, 2003 #3

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The key is that we are counting the bellhop twice.

The bill is: 9 + 9 + 9 - 2 = 25
    plus 2 for the bellhop makes 27.

The "plus two for the bellhop" is the hook.

5. Aug 25, 2003 #4
    Congratulations!!!

You have win trhee adimensional-points!!

You have your first block to make a triangle!!

(silly joke, I know)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?