1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Let me tell u a problem

1. Aug 24, 2003 #1
    There are three guys who go to a motel. They ask for a room, and the owner of the motel receives to them $30. After, when the three guys are at the room, the owner remember that room is only $25, so, he calls to the bellboy and say: "Give that $5 to the three guys". But tomorrow is his girlfriend's birthday, so the bellboy take $2 and only gives $3 to the three guys.

In the beginnig, each one had paid $10, but the bellboy has give them $1 to each one, so, they have paid $9 each one, and the bellboy has the $2, so... $9 + $9 + $9 + $2 = $29

So, what's happend with that last dollar?

(it is a stupidity, I know it):smile:

Last edited: Aug 24, 2003
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 24, 2003 #2
    'Nothing'
    The bellhop shortchanged the three guys by two dollars.
    Divide the two dollars among the 3 guys and you get sixty-seven cents each. Add the sixty-seven cents to the one dollar previously returned to each guy and you get one dollar sixty-seven cents times 3, which equals five dollars. Subtract the five dollars from the thirty dollars originally paid and you get the revised rate of twenty-five dollars.

4. Aug 25, 2003 #3

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The key is that we are counting the bellhop twice.

The bill is: 9 + 9 + 9 - 2 = 25
    plus 2 for the bellhop makes 27.

The "plus two for the bellhop" is the hook.

5. Aug 25, 2003 #4
    Congratulations!!!

You have win trhee adimensional-points!!

You have your first block to make a triangle!!

(silly joke, I know)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?