Let omega=x dx+y dy+z dz be a 1-form

• Thread starter carbis
  • Start date
In summary, the original poster asked a question that has been answered before, and the poster has provided a summary of the content.
carbis
Here an excercise I found between old exams:
Let omega=x dx+y dy+z dz be a 1-form on R^3 and X=(x,y,z) a vectorfield.
Compute L_X(omega) as derivative of the pullback of omega under the flow generated by X.
I think the flow generated by X is (e^t,e^t,e^t), but I don't know how to proceed (computing the pullback, inserting omega en differentating at t=0.
Anyone? :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org

carbis said:
Here an excercise I found between old exams:
Let omega=x dx+y dy+z dz be a 1-form on R^3 and X=(x,y,z) a vectorfield.
Compute L_X(omega) as derivative of the pullback of omega under the flow generated by X.
I think the flow generated by X is (e^t,e^t,e^t), but I don't know how to proceed (computing the pullback, inserting omega en differentating at t=0.
Anyone? :smile:

Apply Cartan's formula: [tex]L_X(\omega)=i_X d\omega+d(i_X\omega)[/tex], [tex]d\omega[/tex] being the exterior derivative and [tex]i_X(\omega)[/tex] the antiderivation.

While this is a nice answer, the thread is over four years old, and it has been more than two years since the original poster lat signed in.

George Jones said:
While this is a nice answer, the thread is over four years old, and it has been more than two years since the original poster lat signed in.

Yeap, I guess Carbis won't be needing it for his homework anymore.

Anyhow, I enjoy digging up interesting questions that no-one ever bothered to answer...
It's something like dating a middle-aged virgin.
(Will this get me banned? damn...:yuck:)

Reb said:
Yeap, I guess Carbis won't be needing it for his homework anymore.

Anyhow, I enjoy digging up interesting questions that no-one ever bothered to answer...
It's something like dating a middle-aged virgin.
(Will this get me banned? damn...:yuck:)

I think answering old questions is good because when someone Googles the question, then they'll be more likely to find the answer.

1. What is a 1-form in mathematics?

A 1-form is a mathematical object that assigns a real number to each point in a vector space. It is typically represented by a linear combination of differentials, such as dx, dy, and dz.

2. How is a 1-form used in physics?

In physics, 1-forms are used to describe physical quantities that vary with position and direction. They are used in areas such as electromagnetism, thermodynamics, and fluid dynamics.

3. What is the significance of the variable omega in the 1-form equation?

The variable omega represents the function that determines the value assigned to each point in the vector space. It is usually a function of the coordinates x, y, and z.

4. How is a 1-form different from a vector field?

A 1-form assigns a single real number to each point in a vector space, while a vector field assigns a vector to each point. In other words, a 1-form represents a scalar quantity, while a vector field represents a vector quantity.

5. Can you give an example of a 1-form in everyday life?

A common example of a 1-form in everyday life is a weather map, where temperature is represented by a color scale at each point on the map. The temperature value assigned to each point can be considered a 1-form.