1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Let X:=R^n with the Euclidean Topology. Is X first countable? Find a nested basis

1. Sep 15, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let X:=ℝn with the Euclidean Topology. Is X first countable? Find a nested neighborhood basis for X at 5.

2. Relevant equations
    If X is a topological space and p[itex]\in[/itex]X, a collection [itex]B[/itex]p of neighborhoods of p is called a neighborhood basis for X at p if every neighborhood of p contains some B[itex]\in[/itex][itex]B[/itex]p.

We say X is first countable if there exists a countable neighborhood basis at each point.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I say yes.
    Let p[itex]\in[/itex]X, the set of open balls Br(p) for r being rational forms a neighborhood basis at p. (That is, for all neighborhoods U of p, there is a Br(p)[itex]\subseteq[/itex]U)
    Since p was arbitrary and this [itex]B[/itex]p is countable (since rationals are countable), X is first countable.

As well, we can just let the nest interval be defined as: B(1/2)i(5) for i being a natural number. Thus, B(1/2)i+1(5)<B(1/2)i(5).

I am struggling a bit at this level of proof honestly, and I'm trying to stay afloat. Thank you!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 15, 2012 #2

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Re: Let X:=R^n with the Euclidean Topology. Is X first countable? Find a nested bas

Your proof looks fine. Just a few nitpicking details: first, [itex]r[/itex] needs to be rational AND positive. Second, although it's pretty obvious, you might say a few words about why you can find an [itex]r[/itex] such that [itex]B_r(p) \subseteq U[/itex].

Your nested neighborhood basis at 5 is fine. Just one minor detail: instead of <, you want [itex]\subset[/itex].

4. Sep 15, 2012 #3
    Re: Let X:=R^n with the Euclidean Topology. Is X first countable? Find a nested bas

Thank you!

Wouldn't it just be based on the density of the rationals?
    Also, thank you for catching my typo :)

5. Sep 15, 2012 #4

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, that is correct.

6. Sep 16, 2012 #5

Thanks again! This site is amazing!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook