Climbing a Steel Pole in <8 Secs - Ideas?

• Thread starter InducJunc
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pole
In summary: I must enquire, where did you get the rules from? The rules are from FIRST Robotics. It is possible to hire a monkey to do the climbing.
InducJunc
Hey guys, with little to none FORMAL physics application experience myself, but quite a bit from the other members in my club. I was wondering what you guys think the fastest methods to climbing a pole would be. Some limitations we have are : one 12vDC battery, only 2 motors (about 150 rpm), and we can't use springs. We have to climb a about 10 foot pole, and we want to do it in less than 8 seconds or as fast as possible. The pole is made of steel. One idea (aside from simpler approaches) that we arrived at (but did not have the expertise to continue with) was to use a electromagnetic propulsion system (similar to Maglev trains?), where we have electromagnets alternating to propel up the pole. We do have a 15 lbs weight limit.

Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
We have not found the rule which clearly prohibits springs. Can you give me a reference?

If you're talking about FRC, it's not in the allowed parts. Though I'd wait until Q's and A's for clarification. (Btw let's not turn this into a FRC thread we got Chief Delphi for that!)

FIRST Robotic's team, eh?
I am so pumped for competition though! :] GO ROBOTS!

Last edited:
Get off me.

Ifin you are into alternatives..I recommend hiring a PRO to do the climbing!

Attachments

• becky_chisnall_31_is_opening_up_a_pole_dancing_stu_1959658669.jpg
    becky_chisnall_31_is_opening_up_a_pole_dancing_stu_1959658669.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 447
Ranger Mike said:
Ifin you are into alternatives..I recommend hiring a PRO to do the climbing!

I do agree, hire a monkey.

Can't you just clamp two wheels (each attached to a motor) to opposite sides of the pole and then switch the battery on?

You would need something to stabilise the rig on the pole and keep it running true.

No need for anything complicated.

jarednjames said:
Can't you just clamp two wheels (each attached to a motor) to opposite sides of the pole and then switch the battery on?

Almost exactly what I would do, only I'd use 4 wheels, 2 driven. Great minds must think alike.

jarednjames said:
You would need something to stabilise the rig on the pole and keep it running true.

That's what the other 2 wheels are for.

The only drawback is that the clamping force required may exceed what the wheels can cope with if the rig is heavy or the cable is very thin. You could also use a braking system to prevent it from rolling back down.

this is a zero backlash friction drive used on a machine i sell. note groved drive pulley and tension pulley opposite,

Attachments

• zeroback lash drive.JPG
    zeroback lash drive.JPG
    40.6 KB · Views: 445
xxChrisxx said:
The only drawback is that the clamping force required may exceed what the wheels can cope with if the rig is heavy or the cable is very thin. You could also use a braking system to prevent it from rolling back down.

I was actually thinking about that.

Without knowing the details of the motors we don't know what they are capable of.

Given there's a 1kg weight limit, when you consider the battery and the motors alone I wouldn't think they're up to much.

First one of the mentors says I'm a good stripper, next thing I know we're hiring Maglev's monkey to do a pole dance without any springs and under 15 lbs. I need to show up at the meetings more; I have no idea how things got so weird.

mag levs don't use motors. the propulsion is built into the track. your only option is attaching wheels to motors and using good old friction as stated above. i would recommend a rubber track instead of wheels, as the rubber track has more surface area for grip. i would also only use one motor to keep the weight down, via a gear transfer case to drive the entire system. pick the lightest motor making the most torque and the lightest battery pack with just enough charge to traverse the length of the pole. Unless you can use the pole itself as a ground and a thin wire as a positive lead.

use as much plastic as you can. the lightest solution will be the fastest one. This is an excersize of weight reduction.

you will have to play with gear ratios in the transfer case to optimise the torque and RPM of your motor.

Last edited:
This is a race between 4 'bots, the first to the top of the pole wins, there are 4 poles. The pole is steel, 1.75" in diameter and 10' tall.

The design constraints require that we use motor driven wheels to climb. The next problem is that it must come down easily and not in a free fall.

Integral said:
This is a race between 4 'bots, the first to the top of the pole wins, there are 4 poles. The pole is steel, 1.75" in diameter and 10' tall.

The design constraints require that we use motor driven wheels to climb. The next problem is that it must come down easily and not in a free fall.

I must enquire, where did you get the rules from? Is it possible to get a link so anyone wanting to contribute knows what constraints there are?

1. How is it possible to climb a steel pole in less than 8 seconds?

Climbing a steel pole in less than 8 seconds is possible with the use of specialized equipment and proper technique. The equipment typically includes climbing spikes, safety harness, and rope. The technique involves using quick and efficient movements, as well as having good upper body strength and agility.

2. What are the risks associated with climbing a steel pole in such a short amount of time?

Climbing a steel pole in less than 8 seconds can be very dangerous and should only be attempted by trained professionals. The main risks include falls, cuts and abrasions from the sharp edges of the pole, and electrical shock if the pole is live. It is important to take all necessary safety precautions and have proper training before attempting this feat.

3. Is there a world record for climbing a steel pole in less than 8 seconds?

Yes, there is a world record for this feat. The current record holder is professional pole climber, Spencer Seabrooke, who climbed a 15-meter steel pole in just 4.16 seconds in 2019. However, it should be noted that this record was set under controlled and supervised conditions, and should not be attempted without proper training and safety measures.

4. What are some techniques that can help with climbing a steel pole in under 8 seconds?

Some techniques that can help with climbing a steel pole in under 8 seconds include using quick and efficient movements, maintaining a strong grip on the pole, and using the legs to push up rather than relying solely on arm strength. It is also important to have a clear plan and strategy before attempting the climb.

5. Are there any other factors besides technique that can affect the speed of climbing a steel pole?

Yes, there are several factors that can affect the speed of climbing a steel pole. These include the condition of the pole (rust, weathering, etc.), the weight and agility of the climber, and the equipment used. It is important to have a well-maintained and sturdy pole, as well as proper gear, to ensure a safe and speedy climb.