Let's define "smooth driving"

• Thread starter Gmen
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses ideas for smooth driving, with two main suggestions being to minimize acceleration and to minimize the derivative of acceleration (also known as jerk). The importance of passenger comfort is also mentioned, with a link to the concept of jerk and its impact on discomfort.
Gmen
What do you think is smooth driving?

Here's two of my ideas:

1) Always try to have as little acceleration as possible (either forward/backward for gas/brake or left/right for steering) as possible. That's quite safe I think - no acceleration, no force felt by the passengeers

2) Always try to have as little derivative of acceleration (da/dt=d^3x/dt^3) as possible.
I came up with this idea thinking of myself standing on the subway. When the train starts to accelerate, I adjust forces on my hands and feet that make me steady. Now, if the acceleration changes a little, indeed I am able to manage these changes. And if the change is steady, I can even anticipate it. Obviously this is done for a very short time, as having a constant increase of acceleration makes x(t)=ct^3.
If the train driver has to stop suddenly, the change is large and this is what causes the discomfort.

What's everyone's opinion on this.

Physics news on Phys.org
The derivative of acceleration is called "jerk": https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jerk_(physics)
As explained in that article, passenger comfort primarily relates to minimizing the magnitude of jerk, but also to limiting acceleration to a level that will not cause discomfort directly from pressure or similar.

1. What is the definition of "smooth driving"?

"Smooth driving" refers to the act of operating a vehicle in a controlled and consistent manner, without sudden or jerky movements.

2. How is "smooth driving" measured or evaluated?

Smooth driving can be evaluated through various factors such as acceleration, braking, and steering inputs. It can also be measured by the level of comfort and safety experienced by passengers.

3. What are the benefits of practicing "smooth driving"?

Practicing smooth driving can lead to improved fuel efficiency, reduced wear and tear on the vehicle, and a safer and more comfortable driving experience for both the driver and passengers.

4. Are there any tips for achieving "smooth driving"?

Some tips for achieving smooth driving include maintaining a safe following distance, anticipating stops and turns, avoiding sudden acceleration or braking, and practicing smooth and steady steering movements.

5. Can "smooth driving" be learned or improved?

Yes, "smooth driving" can be learned and improved through practice and awareness of one's driving habits. Taking defensive driving courses or seeking feedback from experienced drivers can also help improve one's smooth driving skills.