Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Let's define "smooth driving"

1. Nov 29, 2016 #1
    What do you think is smooth driving?

Here's two of my ideas:

1) Always try to have as little acceleration as possible (either forward/backward for gas/brake or left/right for steering) as possible. That's quite safe I think - no acceleration, no force felt by the passengeers

2) Always try to have as little derivative of acceleration (da/dt=d^3x/dt^3) as possible.
    I came up with this idea thinking of myself standing on the subway. When the train starts to accelerate, I adjust forces on my hands and feet that make me steady. Now, if the acceleration changes a little, indeed I am able to manage these changes. And if the change is steady, I can even anticipate it. Obviously this is done for a very short time, as having a constant increase of acceleration makes x(t)=ct^3.
    If the train driver has to stop suddenly, the change is large and this is what causes the discomfort.

What's everyone's opinion on this.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 29, 2016 #2

Jonathan Scott

Gold Member

The derivative of acceleration is called "jerk": https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jerk_(physics)
    As explained in that article, passenger comfort primarily relates to minimizing the magnitude of jerk, but also to limiting acceleration to a level that will not cause discomfort directly from pressure or similar.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted