Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Let's Get Metaphysical

1. Apr 14, 2008 #1
    Hi all! This is my first post on this forum so please be patient (o;

I have been doing some delving into the concept of the 'Law of Attraction'

(see wiki...Law of Attraction...I'm not permitted to post urls yet:redface: )

and got to thinking why in Classical Physics...opposites attract, while in the metaphysical realm that Quantum theories tend to support...like attracts like. In particular, I was thinking of how this might relate to a deeper understanding of magnetism.

I am having a interesting time trying to wrap my brain around this discrepancy. Could it be that what is considered in some circles to be a 'Law of the Universe'....the Law of Attraction...is an insight into the mysteries of magnetism, and maybe we have got it all wrong in saying that 'opposites attract'?

What do YOU think, folks? :bugeye:

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 14, 2008 #2

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

The "Law of Attraction" bastardized physics by using quantum mechanics as its explanation. They could have gotten away scott free if they has simply sold it as it without trying to find "intellectualize" it by invoking something they didn't know, but nooooo.....

Your understanding of physics is also faulty. When did ".....Classical Physics...opposites attract, while in the metaphysical realm that Quantum theories tend to support...like attracts like...."? Where did you learn these two? What you get in classical E&M is the same as what you get in QED as far as forces between like and opposite charges. So what you said here is clearly wrong.

The "Law of Attraction" is not even "good" metaphysics. One would hope that if they want to use quantum physics, they would have at least learned it well before trying to extrapolate it into some esoteric region. I seriously doubt this is even done.

Zz.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?