Let's HEAR it for commercials

• Thread starter Danger
  • Start date
Danger
Gold Member
I'm just curious as to whether or not anyone else has learned of a great song and/or band because of them being used for commercials. It has happened to me several times. "1234" by Feist (Leslie) and several others. The latest is the new Heineken ad done to a live performance of "Golden Age" by the Galaxy Asteroids Tour. The weird thing about that is that I was familiar with Leslie Feist from her work with "Broken Social Scene", but didn't realize that she had a solo career as well.

Answers and Replies

One of our sons fell in love with "1234," so I bought him the CD. I found I liked a lot of her other songs better.

We haven't had a TV in our house for over a year though (stupid digital conversion here in the US -- digital doesn't have great reception when you are in a valley! All or nothing, not just a bit fuzzy. -- combined with just thinking it was bad for family -- Dad and brother not noticing kids or siblings saying goodnight, for example). So no more commercials except when we go to watch sports and a restaurant (and that's not enough viewing time to get something "stuck" in your head.

Borek
Mentor
Not through the commercial, but I have learned about a band called Fanfare Ciocarlia from this short movie:

Whole gig:

Love them both.

Last edited by a moderator:
Those old Navy commercials made me like a few Godsmack songs..

Evo
Mentor
I'm just curious as to whether or not anyone else has learned of a great song and/or band because of them being used for commercials. It has happened to me several times. "1234" by Feist (Leslie) and several others. The latest is the new Heineken ad done to a live performance of "Golden Age" by the Galaxy Asteroids Tour. The weird thing about that is that I was familiar with Leslie Feist from her work with "Broken Social Scene", but didn't realize that she had a solo career as well.
I love the heineken commercial. Normally that girl's voice would make me cringe, but I love the song for some reason and don't mind her voice, it kind of goes with the song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=we1c5uzYsTI&feature=related

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=we1c5uzYsTI&feature=related

mege
I found out about http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Black_Angels_(band)" [Broken] via the track they did for the trailer to the game Fable III. I bought the CD immediately and once it arrived it was in my car for months.

Last edited by a moderator:
Danger
Gold Member
I love the song for some reason and don't mind her voice, it kind of goes with the song.
I can't explain it either... I think that it's because she reminds me of Gwen Stefani when she was singing "Just a Girl".

Danger
Gold Member
Too late to edit my last post, so I have to start a new one. I just want to mention that the entire crew, in particular the lead actor, involved in that ad are great. In fact, the actor reminds me spookily of Eric Balfour. If he ever shows up in "Haven", there could be a twin story happening...