Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Let's See What Frances Can Give Me

1. Sep 3, 2004 #1
    Well, here I sit in central Florida, waiting for Hurricane Frances. I taunted Charley, and he left me without power for a week. Now this mammoth of a storm comes, and it looks to be more of the same, only more so. Will the storm give me a thrashing or just be an annoyance? We shall see.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 3, 2004 #2

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Be careful. I hope you're not without power for too long. I grew up on the gulf coast & I've been through some bad hurricanes. My parent's home is steel framed and solid brick on the outside, I always felt safe in their house during storms. It's like a fortress.

4. Sep 3, 2004 #3

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This one sounds worse...larger and slower. I've seen the size of the storm and the projected path and keep hearing about them evacuating FL, and I keep wondering, where to? It looks like the whole state is going to be swallowed up by this one. Are you all moving up to GA? Stay safe Dan.

5. Sep 3, 2004 #4

Evo

Staff: Mentor

It's huge. I hope for Dan, motai, dduardo and all the others that it continues to weaken. My brother also lives on the southern east coast of Florida.

6. Sep 3, 2004 #5

Kerrie

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

i hope you all are alright during the storm, can't imagine dealing with that!

7. Sep 3, 2004 #6

Kerrie

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

**just in**

looks like frances was downgraded some, but not enough for those dealing with it

8. Sep 3, 2004 #7

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

According to a Portland weather report, the hurricane is currently in the process of eye-wall replacement. During this time, the storm weakens and a new wall forms. The storm may emerge from this process either weaker, or stronger; it can go either way.

Good luck everyone. We will be thinking of you.

9. Sep 4, 2004 #8

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

It's pretty quite down here in miami. It isn't even raining. The power was on and off yesterday for a good portion of the day, but other than that nothing major.

I hope those north of me are doing well.

10. Sep 5, 2004 #9

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

dduardo, still doing okay? Dan, we're waiting the hear...

Now, many areas are on a tornado watch.

11. Sep 5, 2004 #10

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

I just woke up this morning and there are a lot of broken tree limbs, but no major damage.

12. Sep 7, 2004 #11
    I barely got any of the storm. Power was out for only about 3 hours before the storm even really got here (I'm inland, and I think the eye was still off the coast). Cable was out for a while, so I couldn't access the internet. Sustained winds seemed to be under 30 mph, by my estimation.

I think that most trees that withstood Charley could take that. :)

13. Sep 7, 2004 #12
    just get ready for ivan (the hurricane)

14. Sep 7, 2004 #13
    We got lots of rain, and some flooding problems. The lake outside my home is continues to rise and we're not sure whether it will continue to rise. Power was out for a few days and the huge oak tree outside the house fell, almost hitting the house. Minor damage to some of the aluminum skirting on the side of the house. Estimated sustained winds around 30-40 for most of saturday, sunday and monday morning, gusts at 50-60 max. Spent most of today cleaning up debris.

Still living in a suitcase because Ivan may be approaching.

15. Sep 7, 2004 #14
    This is another of the media's attempt to instill fear, notice how much coverage francis is getting. bah! its not worth half of it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?