1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Lets try solving this

1. Jun 25, 2005 #1
    hi,

I have a problem and I am trying it out and would like to have suggestions as well. I would post the solution after I finish and will have opinions :smile: .Meanwhile I would like others to try this....I shall be obliged to get any ans... :smile:

An unstable particle of rest energy 1000MeV decays into a meu-meson (Mo csqr=100MeV) and a neutrino with a mean life, when at rest, of 10^-8 sec.
    a) calculate the mean decay distance when the particle has a momentum of 1000MeV/c.
    b) What is the energy of the meu-meson if it is emitted at an angle 15 degrees.

ps- i guess its the spelling of meu as i can't write the symbol,correct if it's wrong...
    and ^ stands for "raised to the power"
    Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 25, 2005 #2

OlderDan

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I have an answer for a) as the product of the particle velocity times its time-dilated mean life. The velocity is found from the initial momentum and rest energy. Have you found this?

I'm working on b)

4. Jun 25, 2005 #3
    thanks...yes i have found a) in the same way...and have got the ans 3m...

for 2nd one i am using four vectors......i always face difficulty in solving these problems using other methods...its almost solved but i hav not yet put the values to get the ans...

5. Jun 26, 2005 #4
    four vectors----

Px =( Px, jEx)

P μ =(Pμ ,jEμ)

P ν =( P ν , jE ν)

[I tried to put arrow head but couldn't, its getting displaced]

Now,

P ν = Px - P μ

Squaring we get

P ν 2 = (Px - P μ) 2

=>mx2 + mμ2 – 2Ex E μ + 2Px P μ cos θ = 0, θ = 15 degrees

by putting values and neglecting mμ2 we get

E μ =1115.36 MeV [here, E μ is equivalent to P μ ]

:smile: is this correct?

Last edited: Jun 26, 2005
  6. Jun 26, 2005 #5

OlderDan

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Deleted erroneous calculations and related comments

7. Jun 26, 2005 #6
    thanks for the solution :smile: ...well i am not finding any sign error in my equation; its by solving 4 vectors... only i have multiplied the original eqn with -1 to write it in simplified way[i have not written all the steps here]....your equations are correct but i think we have a sign mismatch.. ...i generally avoid the term mμ sqr in such problems as in case of high energy muons, its negligible....
    please confirm if your eqns' signs are correct....

8. Jun 26, 2005 #7

OlderDan

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I did make an error, but it was worse than just a sign mistake. I now agree with your original equation, but my earlier result is way off. I have reproduced your result neglecting the rest mass of the muon. Without the approximation, it's a messy thing to be sure.

9. Jun 26, 2005 #8
    thanks for your suggestions and cooperation..okay...so i can infer that my ans is correct :smile:

thanks & regards

10. Jun 26, 2005 #9

OlderDan

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yep.. looks good to me now. I even managed to get through it without neglecting the muon rest mass. I thought it might be useful to have the general result in hand :smile: I got 1116.84Mev. Obviously not a big dfference for this problem.

11. Jun 27, 2005 #10
    by NOT neglecting, i got somewhat similar results :smile: as yours...

cheers

Last edited: Jun 27, 2005
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?