Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Letters of Euler to a German Princess: On Different Subjects in Physics and Philosoph

1. Jan 31, 2010 #1
    Is this book worth of reading?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 31, 2010 #2
    Re: Letters of Euler to a German Princess: On Different Subjects in Physics and Philo

No idea, never heard of it before. But I found the title to be rather captivating, and found it was available for free on archive.org. Search for it with google. I'm gonna read it when I have free time (probably never).

4. Feb 1, 2010 #3
    Re: Letters of Euler to a German Princess: On Different Subjects in Physics and Philo

From wiki:

"In addition, Euler was asked to tutor the Princess of Anhalt-Dessau, Frederick's niece. Euler wrote over 200 letters to her, which were later compiled into a best-selling volume entitled Letters of Euler on different Subjects in Natural Philosophy Addressed to a German Princess. This work contained Euler's exposition on various subjects pertaining to physics and mathematics, as well as offering valuable insights into Euler's personality and religious beliefs. This book became more widely read than any of his mathematical works, and it was published across Europe and in the United States. The popularity of the 'Letters' testifies to Euler's ability to communicate scientific matters effectively to a lay audience, a rare ability for a dedicated research scientist."

https://www.amazon.com/Letters-Different-Subjects-Natural-Philosophy/dp/B002IKM8AK

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook