Letters of recommendation for undergraduate studies in Canada

In summary, it seems that Canadian universities do not require letters of recommendation to be sent, but some state on their websites that they do not require them. It is possible to include a letter of recommendation even if it's not required, but it is not looked upon negatively.
Ryker
So here's the deal. For undergraduate studies, Canadian universities do not require a letter of recommendation to be sent, some have told me via e-mail explicitly they do not require them, and some even state on their websites not to send anything beside transcripts. Do you think it could be beneficial if I were to include such a letter of recommendatio anyway? Or would this be looked upon negatively, since I would be sending something they have not asked for?

Physics news on Phys.org
I really don't think you'll need it if its not required. I don't think it will be harmful, but its likely that they won't even look at it.

To my knowledge, unless you're applying to a very small and specific program that explicitly requires one, then it's not used for admissions. Undergraduate admissions, are for the most part, an algorithm. Transcript marks are entered. If you meet the minimum requirements you're in. If space is limited (as is often the case) the applicant pool is ranked and admissions are offered based on ranking.

Good letters of reference will come in handy for scholarship applications though.

The poor people admitting have to wade through hundreds or thousands of applications, though I'm sure they wouldn't let it affect their decision, having an extra paper in there to deal with may just piss them off.

Ryker said:
... and some even state on their websites not to send anything beside transcripts. Do you think it could be beneficial if I were to include such a letter of recommendatio anyway?

Well, if nothing else, it suggests difficulty with following directions. Is that the message you want to convey?

A good letter of recommendation will not be looked upon negatively, even if it's contrary to the rubric.

CaptainQuaser said:
The poor people admitting have to wade through hundreds or thousands of applications, though I'm sure they wouldn't let it affect their decision, having an extra paper in there to deal with may just piss them off.

Vanadium 50 said:
Well, if nothing else, it suggests difficulty with following directions. Is that the message you want to convey?

Yeah, this is what I fear might happen if I send one in. I guess in the end I have decided not to send a letter of recommendation, as - frankly - I don't think it would be THAT good so as to REALLY justify why I enclosed it with the other material.

1. What is a letter of recommendation for undergraduate studies in Canada?

A letter of recommendation is a document written by someone who knows you well and can provide insight into your academic abilities, character, and potential for success in undergraduate studies in Canada. It is usually required as part of the application process for universities in Canada.

2. Who should I ask to write my letter of recommendation?

You should ask someone who knows you well and can speak to your academic abilities and personal qualities. This can include teachers, professors, employers, or mentors. It is important to choose someone who can provide a detailed and positive recommendation.

3. How many letters of recommendation do I need?

The number of letters of recommendation required varies by university and program. Generally, most universities in Canada require at least two letters of recommendation, but some may require more. It is important to check the specific requirements for each university you are applying to.

4. What should be included in a letter of recommendation for undergraduate studies in Canada?

A letter of recommendation should include an introduction of the writer and their relationship to you, a description of how long they have known you and in what capacity, specific examples of your academic abilities and personal qualities, and a conclusion summarizing their endorsement of you as a candidate for undergraduate studies in Canada.

5. How should I request a letter of recommendation?

You should request a letter of recommendation in person or via email, providing the writer with enough time to write the letter. It is important to be polite and explain why you are asking them specifically to write your letter. You should also provide them with any necessary information, such as the deadline and specific requirements for the letter. After the letter is submitted, be sure to thank the writer for their time and assistance.