1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Letters of Recommendation

1. Oct 7, 2009 #1
    Hey,

So two summers ago I did an REU. I would like to apply to a few REUs for summer 2010 but I am wondering how I should approach asking for a letter of recommendation from the professor I worked for. Should I email him beforehand and ask his permission for a letter of recommendation and wait for a response? Or should I just assume that he'll write it and give him the information (email addresses) to send the letters to? (I can't directly go and talk to him since he's in a different city than me) My memory is slightly fuzzy but I believe he did offer that if I ever need a letter of recommendation that he'd be willing to write one.

At the moment I've noticed most REU websites haven't updated their information for the 2010 term. Should I just assume they'll be offering it again or should I try contacting the coordinators?

Thanks,
    roeb

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 7, 2009 #2

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Definitely don't just assume he'll write it. That will come off as rude and has a chance to doom your project right off the bat. Send him an email saying you're applying to a couple REU's, and would appreciate it if he could write you a letter of recommendation for them, and if so, you'll let him know more details as they become available

4. Oct 7, 2009 #3

eri

I agree with Office_shredder - don't assume anything. Even if you thought the REU went great, your professor might not have had the same feeling - make sure they're willing to write you a 'good' letter of recommendation. If he agrees, great. If not, you might have dodged a bullet. I read a few 'interesting' recommendation letters for the past summer's REU; I think the student might have been better off asking someone who didn't know him or her too well.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook