Maximizing Chances for a Strong Letter of Recommendation for Graduate Studies

In summary, the person in the conversation is seeking advice on how to secure a strong letter of recommendation for a master's program after realizing the value of it in the industry. They are feeling desperate and unsure if they can obtain a strong enough recommendation. The expert recommends asking old professors and taking the GREs, as well as mentioning that letters of recommendation hold less weight in master's programs compared to PhD programs.
yaang
I wasn't planning on doing masters when i started university so i never worked on building up relations with my profs. I graduated six months ago and now that I've seen the industry a little and where it might take me in the following years i really want to do a masters. I keep reading any letter of recommendation but a very very good one will just lower my chances and I'm not sure i can get one that good. I'm feeling quite desperate. What should I do ?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'd ask your old professors anyway, & explain the situation a bit. They'd probably still be more than happy to write you a recommendation. Perhaps it won't compare to someone with whom they developed a close relationship, but really what else can you do but try? I've seen some very intelligent people not go anywhere just because they fear getting rejected...

I guess the point I'm trying to make is just try & see what happens. Maybe take the GREs, if you do well enough, a good GPA & good scores is always a plus.

I am definitely going to try. In case thing doesn't work out though will getting into a research program be easier than masters ?

yaang said:
I keep reading any letter of recommendation but a very very good one will just lower my chances and I'm not sure i can get one that good.
As long as the letter doesn't say "he's horrible, don't take him", it's unlikely to ever lower your chances. Also, recs count for a lot less in masters programs 'cause they don't provide funding. Basically, recs matter so much in the phd game 'cause the school's investing money in you and wants some assurance you're somewhat up to par. Since you're paying your own way in a masters program, grades carry more weight. Also, some masters programs let you use recs from industry.

That's great news, thanks.

What is a letter of recommendation?

A letter of recommendation is a document written by someone who knows you and can speak to your character, skills, and accomplishments. It is typically used to support your application for a job, school, or other opportunity.

Who should I ask for a letter of recommendation?

You should ask someone who knows you well and can provide a strong, positive endorsement. This could be a professor, supervisor, mentor, or colleague.

How do I request a letter of recommendation?

You should make your request in person or via email, providing details about the opportunity you are applying for and why you believe the person would be a good recommender for you. Be sure to give them enough time to write the letter and provide any necessary information or materials.

What should be included in a letter of recommendation?

A letter of recommendation should include an introduction stating the recommender's relationship to you, specific examples of your skills and accomplishments, and a conclusion summarizing their overall endorsement. It should also be written in a professional and positive tone.

How important are letters of recommendation?

Letters of recommendation can be very important, as they provide insight into your character and abilities from someone who knows you well. They can also set you apart from other applicants and strengthen your overall application. However, their weight may vary depending on the specific opportunity you are applying for.