Finding Level Curves for f(x,y)=1-|x|-|y|

• Thread starter Telemachus
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Curves
In summary: The range of the function is all values of (x- y)^2 which, since that is a non-negative number, is all non-negative real numbers.In summary, the conversation discusses finding level curves for the function f(x,y)=1-|x|-|y| and determining the range of the function f(x,y)=x^2+y^2-2xy. It is suggested to analyze the function by quadrant to graph the equations of lines and find the range of the function.
Telemachus

Homework Statement

I have to find some level curves for: [tex]f(x,y)=1-|x|-|y|[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

So, if we call [tex]S[/tex] at the surface given by the equation [tex]z=f(x,y)[/tex], then

[tex]z=1\Rightarrow{-|x|-|y|=0}\Rightarrow{x=y=0} \therefore P(0,0,1)\in{S}[/tex]

Now, that particular case its simple, cause it gives just a point, but if I go downwards I get:

[tex]z=0\Rightarrow{-|x|-|y|=-1\Rightarrow{|x|+|y|=1\Rightarrow{|y|=1-|x|}}}[/tex]

I'm not sure how to represent this. How does this look on the xy plane?

I know that:

[tex]|y|=\begin{Bmatrix} 1-|x| & \mbox{ si }& y\geq{0}\\-1+|x| & \mbox{si}& y<0\end{matrix}[/tex]

And

[tex]|x|=\begin{Bmatrix} x & \mbox{ si }& x\geq{0}\\-x & \mbox{si}& x<0\end{matrix}[/tex]

But it don't helps me to visualize the "curve". I know actually that it looks like a parallelogram, but that's because I've used mathematica to compute the surface :P I don't know how to deduce it analytically.

Physics news on Phys.org
Just analyze it by quadrant. For example, in the second quadrant, x<0 and y>0, so |x|=-x and |y|=y. Therefore, you get |y| = 1-|x| ⇒ y = 1+x.

|x|+|y|=1. You can break it up into four cases:
|x|=x, |y|=y
|x|=x, |y|=-y
|x|=-x, |y|=y
|x|=-x, |y|=-y

For each quadrant, you will have the equation of a line. Graph those lines in the correct quadrants

Thanks!

May I ask here about another doubt I got? its a simple question, I don't know if I should make another topic just for it. I want to know about the range of the function [tex]f(x,y)=x^2+y^2-2xy[/tex] I think that its all the real numbers, but I'm not sure.

You should start a new thread for your question. (And it's not all real numbers.)

Telemachus said:
Thanks!

May I ask here about another doubt I got? its a simple question, I don't know if I should make another topic just for it. I want to know about the range of the function [tex]f(x,y)=x^2+y^2-2xy[/tex] I think that its all the real numbers, but I'm not sure.
It might help to note that [tex]f(x,y)= x^2- 2xy+ y^2= (x- y)^2[/tex].

1. What is the purpose of finding level curves for f(x,y)=1-|x|-|y|?

The purpose of finding level curves for this function is to graphically represent the points in the xy-plane where the function takes on a constant value. This can help us visualize the behavior and properties of the function.

2. How do you find level curves for f(x,y)=1-|x|-|y|?

To find level curves for this function, we can set the function equal to a constant c and solve for y in terms of x. This will give us the equation of a line in the xy-plane, which represents the level curve for that particular value of c.

3. How many level curves are typically shown for a given function?

The number of level curves shown for a given function can vary, but typically it is recommended to show at least 3-5 level curves to get a good understanding of the function's behavior.

4. How can level curves help us understand the behavior of the function?

Level curves can help us understand the behavior of the function by showing us the regions where the function takes on a constant value. This can give us insight into the shape of the function and how it changes as we move along the x and y axes.

5. Can level curves be used to determine the maximum or minimum value of a function?

Yes, level curves can be used to determine the maximum or minimum value of a function. The point where the level curves are closest together represents the maximum or minimum value of the function, depending on the direction of the curves.