Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Level sets and sections.

1. Jan 22, 2004 #1
    I am having trouble with these problems.

Describe the graph of each function by computing some level sets and sections.

f:R3-->R,(x,y,z)|-->xy

the part that i am having trouble with is R3-->R what does that mean. As for computing the level sets all i do is set xy=to some constant. And then sketch it on the 3d plane.

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 23, 2004 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

R3->R simply means that the independent variable is from R3 (in other words (x,y,z)) while the value of the function is in R (a single real number).
    In this particular case f(x,y,z)= xy. Since there are 4 variables, x, y, z, and the function value, f, in order to "graph" it you would need a 4-dimensional drawing. What you can, in general, do is draw, in 3-dimensions, f(x,y,z)= C for different values of C. You could then interpret the 4th variable as time and imagine the drawings as pages in a flip book (frames in an animation for more modern people).

For example, taking C= 1, xy= C is a hyperbola (strictly speaking a hyperbolic cylinder with axis parallel to the z axis). xy= -1, xy= 2, xy= -2, etc. give different hyperbolic cylinders showing how the system "evolves over time".

This particular problem was probably created to be particularly easy. Since there is no z in the formula, you can actually draw them in a 2 dimensional xy- graph and imagine them extending into and out of the plane of the graph.

(There is, by the way, no such thing as "the 3d plane". Planes are, by definition, 2 dimensional. You probably meant "in 3 dimensions".)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?