What are the level surfaces of the function f(x,y,z) = z + sqrt(x^2 + y^2)?

In summary, the level surfaces of f(x,y,z) = z + sqrt(x^2 + y^2) are ellipsoids centered at the origin. To find the shape of the ellipsoids, we can set the function equal to a constant, k, and solve for the resulting equation in terms of x, y, and z. This will give us a 3D figure that is easier to recognize.
kasse

Homework Statement

Describe the level surfaces of f(x,y,z) = z + sqrt(x^2 + y^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

First of all, what is actually a level surface? Just a normal surface in space?

I followed an example I found on the internet, and this is my attempt at a solution:

First replace f(x,y,z) with a constant

k = z + sqrt(x^2 + y^2)

Then square (k is now another constant)

k = z^2 + x^2 + y^2

This is an ellipsoid, so the level surfaces are ellipsoids centered at the origin.

Is this the right solution? If so, is it possible to say more about the ellipsoids?

Physics news on Phys.org
The definition of a level surface of function of f(x,y,z) is the solutions to f(x,y,z)=k for a constant k.

Now, please don't tell me that you think (a+b)^2=a^2+b^2, as you wrote above...

OK, so

k = z^2 + 2sqrt(x^2+y^2) + x^2 +y^2

then.

Is this one easy to recognize as a 3D-figure?

Last edited:
kasse said:
[
k = z + sqrt(x^2 + y^2)

Get the radical all by itself on one side of the equation before you square. It will be MUCH easier to recognize.

Dick said:
Get the radical all by itself on one side of the equation before you square. It will be MUCH easier to recognize.

Then i get x^2 + y^2 - z^2 = k^2 - 2kz

Still doesn't resemble anything I'm familiar with.

Leave it as x^2+y^2=(k-z)^2. x^2+y^2 is often called r^2, right? So write this as r=|z-k|. Can you describe it now?

A sphere, isn't is?

kasse said:
A sphere, isn't is?

Nope. Look, r is the radius in the xy plane, right? If r=0 then z=k. What is z for r=1? Note k-z must be positive. Why?

1. What are level surfaces of a function?

Level surfaces of a function are a way to visualize and understand a function in three-dimensional space. They are the set of points where the function has a constant value, and therefore, they form a surface in three-dimensional space.

2. How are level surfaces related to contour lines?

Level surfaces and contour lines are closely related as they both represent points of constant value for a function. However, contour lines are two-dimensional and are used for functions of two variables, while level surfaces are three-dimensional and are used for functions of three variables.

3. What information can be obtained from level surfaces?

Level surfaces provide valuable information about the behavior of a function in three-dimensional space. They can help identify critical points, determine the direction of the steepest ascent or descent, and visualize the shape and symmetry of the function.

4. How are level surfaces useful in real-world applications?

Level surfaces have numerous applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. They can be used to model and analyze physical systems, optimize designs, and understand complex data sets.

5. Can all functions have level surfaces?

Level surfaces can be constructed for any function of three variables. Functions with more than three variables can also have level surfaces, but they cannot be visualized in three-dimensional space. For functions with two variables, contour lines can be used as a similar concept to level surfaces.