Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Levenspiel Plot

1. Sep 21, 2014 #1

Maylis

Gold Member

Hello,

I am having some difficulty with levenspiel plots, in particular when dealing with a CSTR and when the reaction rate is increasing with conversion. I will give an example plot to demonstrate my point.

Assume we are trying to find the volume of a CSTR necessary to reach a conversion of X = 0.5, with the levenspiel plot given below

What I wonder, is how do I figure out what area should be taken, and why? I initially thought it would be the one in green, but I am missing something important here as far as how to use the levenspiel plot. When it is the other way around (reaction rate is decreasing with temperature), I can figure it out usually, but I seem to be missing something subtle.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 21, 2014 #2

Maylis

Gold Member

This problem raises more questions yet still, what if X = 0.15? That is 0.15*400,000 = 60,000 m^3. Does that mean this reactor needs to be larger to have less conversion?

Attached Files:

4. Sep 22, 2014 #3
  5. Sep 22, 2014 #4

Maylis

Gold Member

From that page, when it is normal plots (i.e. slope is up with X increases) I am good. It's only for the very specific case I gave that I am having some trouble. Why is it that it is the orange box, and not the green box for the area?

6. Sep 23, 2014 #5
    You need to find [itex]\frac{F}{-r}\times X[/itex]. Geometrically (on the graph), that's the area of the orange box.

Chet

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook