Calculating Torque and Horsepower with Levers

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a lever to generate power from a moving vehicle. The lever is 10 feet long with a fulcrum point 1 or 2 feet from one end. The lever will be used to drive a crankshaft or piston into a cylinder to compress air. The force applied to the lever is 2000 lbs and the distance the lever can move down is 1 inch. There is a discussion about calculating horsepower and the complexity of the calculation due to various factors such as vehicle speed and suspension kinematics. The conversation ends with the question of finding the formula for calculating the movement of the lever based on the position of the fulcrum.
JoelDFair
If I have a 10 foot long lever and the fulcrum is 1 foot from the end, if I place 2000 lbs. of force on the lever, what will be my "force" or torque at the end of the lever? And, very important, how much distance will the tip of the short end of the lever move up if the long end of the lever can only go down 1" at its end?

Also, can I somehow translate the torque developed at the end of the lever into a horse-power calculation? Say I'm driving a crankshaft or piston into a cylinder (air-compressor) at the short end of the lever. What kind of HP and CFM can I generate?

Thank you!

Engineering news on Phys.org
The first part of your post is not concise. The static torque (I assume static) about the [itex] x-axis [/itex] is [itex] 2000 lb \times 10 ft[/itex] and about the [itex] y-axis [/itex] is [itex] 2000 lb \times 1 ft [/itex]. I assumed what you were trying to indicate by fulcrum as a bend of 90 deg. in the lever.

You comment about "horsepower". Power is Torque[itex]\times[/itex]angular velocity. So you need some kind of movement (Kinetics/Dynamics) for there to be any power developed.
Cheers,

OK. I have a "lever", a 10 ft long piece of steel. It will be placed horizontally level with a "fulcrum" 1 or 2 ft from one end. 2000 lbs of kinetic energy (a vehicle) will roll over the other end of the lever thus applying the force. I want the lever to drive a crankshaft or piston into a cylinder and compress air. The "long" end of the lever cannot depress more than 1".

If I can determine the foot pounds of pressure I can develop at the short end of the lever I can likely calculate the HP equivalency I will have to drive a piston.

You are still not clear on the setup. A diagram would help.
Comments:
1) lbs is NOT kinetic energy.
2) you cannot calculate HP from pressure.

You need much more information to be able to do what I think you are doing.

The car drives onto the "long" end and depresses it 1"? Well, if you apply 2000 lb of force over a distance of 1", that's 2000*1/12= 166.7 ft-lb of work (energy). If this happens in 1 second, you've applied 166.7/550 = 0.3 hp of power to the lever (for 1 second).

Note, the torque and power are equal on each side of the lever.

I agree. But you assumed both distance and time which are not specified in the OP.
The OP also uses incorrect terminology.
I believe the time factor is the most difficult to determine in a situation like this as it would require a dynamic simulation of the car-lever interaction.

FeX32 said:
I agree. But you assumed both distance and time which are not specified in the OP.
Distance is in the OP's second post - I only assumed the time.

You're right that the OP butchered the units.

Thank you for your patience!

Simple diagram attached. Simply put: if a 4000 lb vehicle drives over a "bump" in the road, which in essence is a lever, and I have a fulcrum point 1 or 2 ft from the other end of the lever which, on its upward movement drives a crankshaft to an air compressor piston.

Attachments

• diagram 1.jpg
    diagram 1.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 603
My calculation was correct then - though the time is irrelevant, it is actually the frequency of cars driving over that matters.

And FYI, we actually have had several threads about harvesting energy from highways in this manner. A forum search should turn them up.

Guys! I'm on here because I don't know the answers to these questions and it's even difficult to phrase the questions properly! Sorry! Trying not to be a "BUTCHER"!

Excellent! I will do a search. Thank you!

Fair enough russ.
Although for the OP. I think this calculation is much to simple. Approximating the force of a moving vehicle riding over a lever requires a kinetic analysis. The force will not be static.

This is a good start however. Usually, it takes some practical application to convince people their calculations are far too simplistic and ideal.
There are soo many unanswered questions. Vehicle speed, suspension kinematics, tire inflation and specs, etc... these all will change the end result.

Very interesting. Thank you very much.

I guess I'm just looking for a Yay or Nay that I could move a crankshaft at the end of the lever with sufficient force to drive a piston and compress air. I have extensive uses for CA and solutions for compressed air storage and distribution systems. I'd like to aerate polluted bodies of water adjacent to a highway with the compressed air, for one example.

Yes you can do what you are thinking to do. But 'engineering' a design that you can correlate properly or predict the output can't be done with one simple formula. You can try to estimate possible power but it will be very inaccurate like I mentioned above. Even if all the factors are taken into account there will still be some error. If you really want to attempt this I suggest contact modeling using a dynamic simulator like MSC ADAMS. By "hand" this problem can also be attempted (then coded to solve) but it needs high expertise in the filed of multibody dynamics.

In short, your only problem in just trying it is designing the lever-crank interface properly.

Cheers,

Thank you very much, everyone. I am going to leave the kinematics to our mechanical engineering school partners, when the time comes. I will only be trying to pull together a proto-type model of my concept.

Could someone please direct me to the proper forum for answering an initial question I had? I need to know the formula for calculating how far a lever moves up at one end of the lever depending upon how far it can move down at the other end and where the fulcrum is located.

Thank you.

It is just the ratio of the lengths of the two sides.

1. What is a lever?

A lever is a simple machine that consists of a rigid bar or beam that can rotate around a fixed point called a fulcrum. It is used to amplify or redirect a force, making it easier to lift or move objects.

2. How does a lever work?

A lever works by applying a force on one end, called the effort, which rotates the lever around the fulcrum. This creates a turning effect, or torque, that can be used to move or lift an object on the other end, called the load.

3. What is the principle of moments in levers?

The principle of moments states that for a lever to be in equilibrium, the sum of the clockwise moments must be equal to the sum of the counterclockwise moments. This means that the effort multiplied by its distance from the fulcrum must be equal to the load multiplied by its distance from the fulcrum.

4. What are the three classes of levers?

The three classes of levers are determined by the relative positions of the fulcrum, effort, and load. In a first-class lever, the fulcrum is between the effort and load. In a second-class lever, the load is between the fulcrum and effort. In a third-class lever, the effort is between the fulcrum and load.

5. How can levers be used to lift heavy objects?

Levers can be used to lift heavy objects by using the principle of moments. By increasing the distance between the fulcrum and the load, a smaller amount of effort can be used to lift a heavier load. This is why many machines, such as cranes and forklifts, use levers to lift heavy objects.