Optimizing Lever Arm Length and Material for Maximum Distance in a Mousetrap Car

In summary, the conversation is about building a mousetrap car for a distance competition. The main questions are whether to use a long or short lever arm, what type of string to use, and how long they should be. The person providing the summary has experience building a mousetrap car but their design was different and only went 3m. They mention a friend's car that went 100m using a long lever arm and fishing rod string. The speed of the lever arm affects the distance the car can go. The person also asks for advice on what type of rod to use, but it is mentioned that stability and weight are important factors.
decibel
am doing mine for distance should i have a long lever arm or a short lever arm, and how long should it be? and should i use a like a rubber string or just a normal one and how long should that be?

thanks if you can reply by today

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, I have made a mousetrap car not too long ago so hopefully I can help. :smile: However, mine was very different from the rest of the cars, but it went 3m.

My friend's mousetrap car got the first place (almost 100m!) and his lever arm was very long. Also, I think he used a fishing rod string. When the mousetrap car was moving the leverarm went down very slowly, allowing the car to go further. If the leverarm goes down quickly, the car will also stop quickly.

Sorry, that's all I can remember... I just had a quick glance, I didn't look at it too closely.

wut kind of rod do u think i should use

a fishing rod?

Well, I don't *think* it really matters, as long as it's stable and not too heavy. :smile:

1. What is a lever arm in a mousetrap car?

The lever arm in a mousetrap car is the part of the car that is connected to the mousetrap and is responsible for transferring the force from the mousetrap to the wheels. It is typically a long rod or arm that extends from the mousetrap and is attached to the axle of the wheels.

2. How does the lever arm affect the performance of a mousetrap car?

The length and position of the lever arm can greatly impact the performance of a mousetrap car. A longer lever arm can provide more torque and therefore more power to the wheels, resulting in a faster car. The position of the lever arm also affects the direction and efficiency of the force being transferred to the wheels.

3. Can the lever arm be adjusted on a mousetrap car?

Yes, the lever arm can be adjusted on a mousetrap car to optimize its performance. By changing the length and position of the lever arm, the force and direction of the movement can be altered. This can be done by attaching the lever arm to different points on the car or using adjustable attachments.

4. What materials are commonly used for the lever arm on a mousetrap car?

The most common materials used for the lever arm on a mousetrap car are lightweight and stiff materials such as wood, plastic, or metal. These materials provide the necessary strength and rigidity to transfer the force from the mousetrap to the wheels efficiently.

5. How do I determine the optimal length and position of the lever arm for my mousetrap car?

The optimal length and position of the lever arm can vary depending on the design and weight of your mousetrap car. It is recommended to experiment with different lengths and positions to find the best performance for your specific car. You can also use mathematical calculations and simulations to help determine the optimal lever arm for your design.