1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Lever physics homework

1. Dec 8, 2006 #1
    I cant figure this problem out and i dont know where to start.

A young boy(50kg) wants to lift a boulder with a mass of 2500kg. He can wedge a board under it so that from the boulder to a pivot/fulcrum is 0.6 meters. How long does the other end of the board have to be for the boy to lift the boulder.

Any ideas?
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 8, 2006 #2

Staff: Mentor

What principles apply here? (See, this is why you should use the Homework Posting Template that is provided when you start a new homework thread. It should not be considered optional.)

Tell us what you know about levers and fulcrums and maybe even torques. You must show us your work in order to get our help (PF rules).
  4. Dec 8, 2006 #3
    you know your origin, right?
    does it make sense that if you set the persons torque equal to the boulder's torque you would be able to solve this problem?
  5. Dec 10, 2006 #4
    what do u mean what principles apply here? this is the full problem word for word. we just started levers... and we have not done torgue.

does this work?

so x=30 meters?

can somone please tell me if this is right?
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2006
  6. Dec 10, 2006 #5

Staff: Mentor

Looks good to me.
  7. Dec 11, 2006 #6
    ok then... thank you
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?